Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2020, 07:41 PM

Default Filipino returns and re-build questions

From the videos I've seen, the Filipino returned Garands had many rifles that suffered from bad storage conditions including a leaky roof and termite infestation of some of the stocks.

Has CMP given any estimate of what percentage of the returns need new stocks? It seems like may service grade guns are being sent out with new wood which would seem to indicate many ruined stocks. Also, what happens to the metal parts of these ruined stocks? Is it refinished and put on the new wood stocks?

My Garand is nothing special. It was made in Sept of 42. It has a July 43 bolt (heat lot W10B) pre-45 trigger group and was rebarreled (and likely had the new sight added) after June of 54. It appears to have all Springfield Armor parts except the OP rod. It no longer has its original stock. I assume this was done after the Korean War.

Last question, when did the Philippines get the Garands that were returned?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:05 PM

“My Garand is nothing special. It was made in Sept of 42. It has a July 43 bolt (heat lot W10B) pre-45 trigger group and was rebarreled (and likely had the new sight added) after June of 54. It appears to have all Springfield Armor parts except the OP rod. It no longer has its original stock. I assume this was done after the Korean War. “

Really??...they’re all special!! Your rifle has survived 75 years probably saw action in WWII and possibly Korea has been half way around the world and still goes bang bang......ping! I would say that’s pretty special
Old 01-21-2020, 11:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris_Bane View Post
From the videos I've seen, the Filipino returned Garands had many rifles that suffered from bad storage conditions including a leaky roof and termite infestation of some of the stocks.

Has CMP given any estimate of what percentage of the returns need new stocks? It seems like may service grade guns are being sent out with new wood which would seem to indicate many ruined stocks. Also, what happens to the metal parts of these ruined stocks? Is it refinished and put on the new wood stocks?

My Garand is nothing special. It was made in Sept of 42. It has a July 43 bolt (heat lot W10B) pre-45 trigger group and was rebarreled (and likely had the new sight added) after June of 54. It appears to have all Springfield Armor parts except the OP rod. It no longer has its original stock. I assume this was done after the Korean War.

Last question, when did the Philippines get the Garands that were returned?
I assume the majority of Garands that PI received was late in WWII and directly after. From wikipedia... Philippines: Received 34,300 M1 and 2630 M1D rifles from the U.S. government in 1950–1975...these were likely part of the MAP.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand
Old 01-21-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
Really??...they’re all special!! Your rifle has survived 75 years probably saw action in WWII and possibly Korea has been half way around the world and still goes bang bang......ping! I would say that’s pretty special
Yes, my Garand did that and Garands received well deserved praise for their service. There literally are millions of other Garands out there which have done the same thing.

My first love is older often forgotten or disregarded US Military rifles like my Model 1816 Type III's, all made in 1838. My 1816's still work and can put 5 rounds in a 2" circle at 50 yards off-hand ... when I don't flinch.

Now consider a 182 year old a musket that saw 27+ years of service in at least 2 wars and changed from a smooth bore flintlock to a percussion rifled musket. Nobody though these old firearms were "special" when they were just 20 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
I assume the majority of Garands that PI received was late in WWII and directly after. From wikipedia... Philippines: Received 34,300 M1 and 2630 M1D rifles from the U.S. government in 1950–1975...these were likely part of the MAP.
That is 36,930 Garands. They returned 86,000. So, the Philippines got a bunch more than Wikipedia indicates.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:46 AM

it has been suggested by others who are twice as smart as i am on these matters that the difference between the MAP numbers and the amount of rifles returned (roughly 50,000) are rifles that were directly left over from WWII and were not loaned under MAP...... so the 86,000 number are from 2 sources..... MAP and WWII leftovers...... im sure there were at one time more than 86,000 but 75 years of fighting Muslim Guerrillas in the jungle climate probably took its toll on the number of rifles available......
Old 01-22-2020, 08:55 AM

The earliest combat action for the M1 Garand may have been in the Philippines, starting in December 1941. While most US troops were still armed with the 1903 Springfield, there were some units - including Philippine troops - who were armed with the M1.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:59 AM

The articles said that the Philippines was only obligated to return the loaned M1s it received under MAP, but they chose to give up the rest too. A lot of M1s (and other firearms) were given to a lot of countries prior to MAP without any loan agreements. There were also foreign military sales before and during MAP.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:53 AM

This last reply allows a segue to the subject of non-PI currently-overseas M1s. Anybody think we will see non-US inventory M1s after the PI returns run dry?
Old 01-22-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris_Bane View Post
[...] That is 36,930 Garands. They returned 86,000. So, the Philippines got a bunch more than Wikipedia indicates.
A similar phenomenon occurs in my safe.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
A similar phenomenon occurs in my safe.