Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2019, 06:20 AM

Default Japanese sword preservation

I have a Japanese sword that was remounted four use during World War II. The thread that wraps the handle is starting to come apart. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to preserve it? I was thinking of wrapping over it with cotton twine. Looking for advice from people smarter than I.

https://imgur.com/a/Ep7E9YW

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 08-06-2019, 06:49 AM

I assume you Googled "japanese sword repair" or similar phrase? Just out of curiosity I did and came up with multiples sources including in the US. Here's one that even offers handle wrapping.
https://www.japanese-swords.com

Imo, it would be a shame to take something like that and do a "backyard repair" on it. Just saying.

Good luck

grumap72
Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 AM

If you have any friends who tie fishing flys, borrow a thread bobbin. (pictured below). They are about $5-6 on Ebay, and it holds the thread under slight pressure so you can place it wherever you want and do a precision wrap.
If I were making this repair, I would go to a sewing store and buy a small spool of gold thread that best matches the sword's. Then, orient the swords existing gold fabric exactly where you want it, then, using the bobbin tool and the gold thread, do some precision wraps to anchor it, then finish it off with a small dot of clear Crazy Glue. Should be near invisible if you do it right. If unclear, go on Youtube and type in "fly tying" and you'll see this bobbin tool in action....Good luck

Last edited by 218bee; 08-06-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpa72 View Post
I assume you Googled "japanese sword repair" or similar phrase? Just out of curiosity I did and came up with multiples sources including in the US. Here's one that even offers handle wrapping.
https://www.japanese-swords.com

Imo, it would be a shame to take something like that and do a "backyard repair" on it. Just saying.

Good luck

grumap72
Have you used their service? I don’t know without recommendation I want to send off a handle and have it repaired by them for $250 + $35 return shipping. I hope their work is amazing for that price, but maybe I’m being cheap. The reason why I was thinking the “backyard repair” was I wasn’t sure if it’s better to do a reversible band-aid like rather than having it rewrapped. I wasn’t sure if rewrappijg it would destroy history/value where my earlier suggestion would hopefully not harm anything but just stop further damage.

My Feedback thread

Old 08-06-2019, 12:01 PM

Redspecial,
No I haven't - I was curious & read your post. Just saying that Google is a good place to start in my world.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:33 PM

To try and stop a fray from unravelling, you might try a small drop of clear nail polish. I would do this on an obscure place first to see how it works on that particular material. It is not meant to be a repair or restoration, but might prevent further damage.

We used to do this on the cut end of our cotton web trouser belts in the military.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:18 PM

Tsukamaki.net has reasonable prices. It has been years since I had a handle rewrapped by Dr. Buck. I was very pleased with his work.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:17 PM

Well, I went to hobby lobby today and purchased the closest thread I could find to the original color. I was wrapping it with a pretty standard wrap that was essentially an overhand knot, then turn the sword over, another overhand knot all the way down. My wife came in and said "well bless your heart" and took over the operation. See the link for the starting point and the final product. Again, my goal was to preserve the original wrapping and prevent further damage. Is it the prettiest thing no, but I feel better about this than having the handle completely rewrapped.

https://imgur.com/a/Ep7E9YW

My Feedback thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:38 PM

Looks good! Now take it out and slice some melons!
Old 09-10-2019, 07:41 AM

If you haven't already, get yourself a Japanese sword cleaning kit. You need uchiko and choji oil. Uchicko is a very fine powder applied to wipe in one direction to remove finger oils and light staining/rust. Choji oil to preserve the blade and store the blade. A light film is suggested.

Especially needed if you do cut melons or tatami mats, you must clean before storing the sword.