Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 PM

Mike,

I’m not sure what the point of this post is but you seem determined to be upset about your carbine. That being the case I really don’t know what to think about the cracks without seeing them. In your first post they were “cracks behind the recoil plate” now the “wrist is cracked” rendering the rifle unsafe to shoot. A hairline crack along the grain is very common and isn’t going to fail in a catastrophic way anytime soon.

As far as the cartouche, “May or may not have original cartouche”. Yours didn’t. We all hope for a good cartouche but it’s certainly not realistic to expect it.

Of the problems you could have a bad stock is probably the easiest and cheapest to fix. There are plenty of used stocks out there. Are your barrels good? Metal okay?? If you’ve had them apart is there pitting or rust??

It sounds like a rack grade to me. I’ve said it before but I think people take advantage of the CMPs generosity. Eventually they will have to stop replacing every part that doesn’t meet a buyers unrealistic expectations. I mean, seriously, you’re upset about a battered buttplate on a 65 year old gun that’s literally been through war?? You can find buttplates for $10, a bottle of Gorilla Glue will also set you back about $10. Fix on your carbines and enjoy them.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:33 PM

Both my "service grade" carbines have hairline cracks extending from the rear corners of the recoil plates, and have minor pitting in the bores. At first I wondered if they were "exceptional," but after reading many posts have concluded it's nothing potentially catastrophic.

Personally, I don't think the carbine develolps enough recoil to do any further damage per-se; the cracking likely occurred do in part to the recoil plates at some point not having been "snug" enough, in conjunction with the stocks having been too "dry." If your stocks arrived "bone dry" like mine did, I think what is very important in order to pervent any further cracking is restore the much-need oil to the extremely britttle wood prior to firing.

IMHO,

G.D.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:35 PM

I have two rack grades arriving on Monday and from the estore invoice one is a 5 digit serial number . i am truly expecting firewood for stocks , so anything above that I'll be really happy. If I happen to get a nice rebuild stock I'll be overjoyed.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM

FWIW - I read a post from a guy that said he puts the glue into the crack with a hypodermic syringe/needle, and then uses gentle compressed air to blow into the crack and spread the glue around, and then clamps it. I thought that using the air was a great idea.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM

My Standard Products is a RG. Came with an Italian M2 stock with a crack behind the recoil plate. I haven't given it any thought until I read this thread. The crack runs through both sides of the little "island" of wood. The wood in the middle of the two cracks is "pouched" up a little.

I have put a good many rounds through this SP and the cracks have not gotten any longer. I guess I could pick at it and see if I could pick the piece of wood out and then add glue. On the other hand I could just leave it alone, wait and see if it ever gets any worse.

It is a rack grade, after all. I have another M2 with a really strange looking repair. 2nd pic. It came off a SG.
J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 01-31-2010, 12:29 AM

Guys, thanks for answering. I wanted to know what everyone thought about my concern, and to underscore that all of these guys posting pics of rack carbines with great stock markings were not the norm. Considering the beat-up condition of the butt plates I am wondering if the damage at the recoil plate is the result of abusive handling. Carbines were mostly used by police, handled roughly and exposed to the elements. Once I have convinced myself there are no arsenal markings worth saving, the stocks will be sanded and RLO'd.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 AM

I received a rack grade underwood on 01/22/10 & a SA SG M1 Garand (which is beautiful) the carbine stock was not - I believe it is a 1963 SA replacement, I been striping it & now using Tung oil on it - here are a couple of pictures of it when I received it.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 AM

MAXDOG, that looks like a fun project stock. I like to take a nasty stock and make it look good again. Nice push button safety too!!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 PM

I wouldn't be happy with them but I keep a extra carbine and garand stock on hand. E-bay has them. So if I get a bad stock I don't feel so bad. Change the stock and take it out and show it off. Luck of the draw. Good luck
Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM

I agree with hink441.
That will be one sweet looking stock after it is cleaned up a bit.

Cheers