Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 05:12 PM

Default Anyone using a M1A1 repro stock?

Need some info and advice on REPRO M1A1 stocks. I am wanting to use a carbine as a truck gun (this is Texas, ya know) and find the size of the M1A1 more desirable than a full size carbine stock. My thought process is to obtain a good repro M1A1 stock, fill it with a good-metal rack grade Inland and tuck in under the backseat of the truck (in my underseat box) when I was on the road or doing work things. I would never want to put a real as-built M1A1 in that situation nor would I want to do that with a genuine USGI wire stock. Plus no wear-n-tear on any real USGI wood stock. Anticipating the bumps and bangs and temperature differences, yep, repro is the way to go. Now with that said…

I have seen repro M1A1 stocks listed several places. Both Northridge and Numrish’s has them for about $180. (We wont discuss CTD since they have a list for $299). I have seen some posted other places, but I am trying to steer toward buying from a company that will be in business next week.

Does anyone have any experience with these repros either in reenacting or in actually shooting? Looking for recommendations on things like fit, durability, dependability of the metal framework and quality of wood.

TIA,

Ed

(P.S. Its another excuse to buy another RG carbine from CMP.)

Last edited by Tired Retired; 01-31-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 PM

I just fit one to the racker inland I just got from the CMP.

The only three things I had to do to make it fit better was..
Change out the type 3 bb to a typ1 (repro).
I wanted to do this anyway, but the slot in the 3 bb didn't line up with the spring correct. The spring slot was about a bit over 1/8" low in the stock.
Forcing it to fit, pulled the barrel over in the stock to the right.. sloppy looking.

And the spring that came with it didn't have a pronounced edge to the bump that goes into the slot, so it wouldnt stay well even if it did line up.
So I also changed out the spring for a USGI on.
I used the one that came in the stock with the racker.... soaked some oil into the channel and down the hole on the other side of the stock and knocked it out with an aluminum nail

And lastly, the recoil plate was too tight, so I had to take out the main screw that holds the wire frame to the rear of the stock and goes all the way from top to bottom of the pistol grip. Need to do that to get to the screw for the recoil plate. Loosened the recoil plate as needed, just a bit... then put it all back together again. Really wasn't bad. The slot in that main screw if very thin and wide.. needed to make a tool out of some thick sheet steel.

Worse part was getting off the front sight. Which finally came off after soaking it for 24 hrs with PBlaster. And the key as well, it was rusted in there.. PBlaster and a micro torch on the seam of the key and barrel and the key finally came out.
When back together 1000x easier.

I looks great, wood fit was perfect.
Wood looks excellent too.
The stock came from Northridge.
Repro flipper and typ1BB from CTD.

I can understand wanting the m1a1 stock , but have you looked at the synthetic stock options... maybe a bit cheaper, and better for the back of a truck function...

In just did mine this week, finished it up Saturday night. Looking to fire it this Monday or Tuesday.

I also changed out the rear sight to a flipper repro, which I'm glad it was part of my plan, since the rear adj sight was heavily staked, but was slapping around in the dove tail, and came out by pushing it with my finger.
I dressed the dove tail, and the repro flipper went in excellent, and tight.

Last edited by ramit; 01-31-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM

Here the head of the main screw...

This was before I did the BarrelBand... I haven't taken any new pix since I did the BB.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM

That actually looks pretty good in the pics. The stock looks to be made of attractive hardwood. I don't know about changing out everything if I decide to go through with this. I actually prefer the type II / III sights and the Type III barrel band. I respect the "as built" arguement, but for a working firearm, I have always prefered any practical upgrades (that statement should start an arguement!). I am looking at your pics and wondering how practical it would be to mount one of those Picatinny rail handguards with a red-dot. LOL Maybe that is too much "old" and "new" in the same weapon! Come to think about it, a few potholes will probably take care of any optical on a weapon! LOL

I thought about a Synthetic, but one of the issues is it fitting into the storage area under one side of the back seat. My truck's rear under-seat area is divided by the driveshaft "hump" in the middle and hence the desire to fold it up and make it compact for storage.

Thanks for the info, its really got my decision making process going. Please let us know how it does when you get to the range.

Last edited by Tired Retired; 01-31-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM

I saw a synthetic with a folding stock.
Googled it, found this at Fulton..

I have one SG NPM that I have slated for one of the handguards your speaking of and a long relief scope. My wife and daughter like shooting with scopes.

I like the newer style rear sights as well.
But have shot the flippers too, and they work well.
The only fault I find with the adjustable rear sight, not much in the way of fine adjustment for elevation, but great for windage.

The stock is really nice, and feels good when mounted to the shoulder.
Wood does not feel cheap at all. Feels well made as well as the wire stock.

At worst , if you had the same problem I had with the BB lining up with the spring, just need to open up the slot to help it align correctly.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 AM

Rather pleased with my Numrich /Gun Parts Corps M1A1 stock . Metal was blued. Has M2 cut. Did not come with handguard. Had the metal reparked along with the repro type 1A bbl band . Looks good , shoots good. Found a M60 M.G. spare barrel bag that fits a folded M1A1 like it was made for it. Bag is marked carrying case , Barrel P/N 7791009. Search Ebay for that number and you will find several of these bags for sale. I paid $10.00 at a surplus store.

Last edited by Bigswedez; 02-01-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:26 AM

I have the Ultimak handguard on two of my carbines. One has a Aimpoint Micro T1, and the other has a Burris scout scope. I Initiall tried it with a Bushnell 2x6 handgun scope and while it worked ok, the scope could not be moved far enough forward to give me a good field of view. So I replaced it with the Burris 2.75 fixed power scout scope which works much better, even though you don't have the additional power. Below in the first picture is two carbines set up using the 2x6 Bushnell handgun scope.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1265022913

The next picture is the carbine with the Burris scout scope, and the other one with the Aimpoint Micro T1.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1265023476
Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 AM

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4141
Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Default paratrooper stock

I purchased one from Numerichs a couple of years ago and it came with a handguard. Overall it was what I was looking for but when the stock is extended is does have some wabble, not real tight, about 1/4 " movement.
but since youa re going to put it under the seat, I too am from Texas, then the wabble won't be an issue. But I did not have to work at getting it it to fit though it was a but tight at first. I would buy another...

But I wonder why use a $400 plus carbine with a almost $200 stock when you can use a SKS with aftermarket side folder for about half the cost.
Just curious.

I think SARCO also sells repro A1 stock sets as well.

Hope this helps.
Stac
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly53usmc View Post

But I wonder why use a $400 plus carbine with a almost $200 stock when you can use a SKS with aftermarket side folder for about half the cost.
Just curious.
My reasoning (and I at will undoubtedly start a debate over different gun camps) is simple logistics. I don't need yet another caliber of ammo to buy and stock, different bore brushes/cleaning rods, different parts to buy and different magazines to stock up. I am comfortable with the .30 carb for both plinking and "around the house" work. I got plenty of mags and I can reload it relatively cheap. If I started another "line" if firearms collecting, I would have to go get another safe by the time I was through... Guess that $350 SKS would end up costing me $3000 by the time I was through buying everything! LOL

But this is great feedback - I didn't look at SARCO yet.