Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2017, 03:17 PM

Default Daisy 853?

Just faxed my order for a used CMP 853 and I am pretty excited. I will be using it in my basement for 6 meter bell target shooting and maybe some 10m target practice.

What pellets seem to be the best for this rifle and anything else I should know or suggestions before I get this gun?

Thanks in advance and I will continue to look around for info!!!

Jim
Old 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM

I've got a very comprehensive test posted here, ~21 different pellet designs.
Extensive pellet test - Daisy 853 ... ** Suppressed **

All airguns are different, but the above test (along with a few of my others) has given me a few ideas about the quality/consistency of various pellet brands.
IME; while RWS is generally a safe bet, I have also had much success with Crosman & Gamo pellets, at lower cost.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:16 PM

Wow, that's a jackpot!!! Thanks for the info!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:42 PM

Remember he's shooting with a suppressed rifle. Have no idea how that affects accuracy.

I use these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From a rest these will all go in about the same hole from 8 meters, that's all I can get in my garage. There are probably cheaper ones that will do just as good, I'm not going to waste my time trying to find them for the price of these. Plus these work great in my pistol.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 PM

Thanks I will try them out!!!

Jim
Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho View Post
Remember he's shooting with a suppressed rifle. Have no idea how that affects accuracy. [...]
Prior to adding the suppressor, I did an earlier test using 7 styles of pellets at 15 yards, shot from a bench with a scope.
That previous test yielded avg. 5-shot group sizes of 0.32" in aggregate.

Those same 7 pellet styles then shot to 0.28" average with the suppressor, so accuracy did improve by ~10% or so.

Unknown if that was just made for a more stable shooting platform from bags, but some pellets did perform considerably better while some did worse.
Just one of those airgun things.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:16 PM

That's interesting, I would have thought the opposite would have happened. Good tests by the way. I wonder if the suppressor acted as a tuner would by stabilizing the barrel? Hard to think the barrel at that a low velocity .177 would be affected by vibration.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho View Post
That's interesting, I would have thought the opposite would have happened. Good tests by the way. I wonder if the suppressor acted as a tuner would by stabilizing the barrel? Hard to think the barrel at that a low velocity .177 would be affected by vibration.
Thx for the props on my testing.
The interesting thing was that the prior test was done with a completely bare barrel - so without the original front sight & the /heavy/ bbl weight associated with it. So my 'suppressed' test sort of put the ~original weight back on the bbl end - which could be an important aspect of the original design.
Good stuff.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 04-20-2017 at 12:56 AM.