X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wesvb
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
    Wes- is that one of those rare Hammerhead stocks? They were only issued for one week back in the day, right?
    Doing careful research I have determined that this stock was issued on February 29, 1936.

Comment

• 3StrikesNC
      • Oct 2009

Thought it was one of those very, very rare stocks. Maybe JB or Rick will chime in at some time.

sounds like that stock alone could be your retirement....

Comment

• mac1911
        • Oct 2009

Ok so I'm not a fan of the new cmp wood nor am I any type of gunsmith BUT these stocks are not the best fitting for any of the offereings WHY is a answer we will never know. I don't think the armors spent hours fitting stocks? That said .........what do you expect from a sub 200$ stock from boyds? I don't care who ordered the specs or if some mystic garand God told boyds what to do ....its a 200$ slab of wood put out by boyds......in my projects over the years boyds is the LEE reloaders of the stock world. They work or can be made to work....if there's another stock maker out there that can make a correct fitting stock for under 200$ I'm all ears......also sad to hear cmp is dropping the 03 stock. Hmmmm maybe cmp has themselves relized the stocks do intact fall short.....gets me thinking what the custom shop will do for wood replacement and fitting?

Comment

• Paladin601
          Banned
          • Jul 2010

Wonder why people think that Springfield or Remington spent hours trying to fit the original stocks. Basically they left it up to the Armorers to do that, same as any manufacture.

Comment

• ordmm
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by mac1911 View Post
            Ok so I'm not a fan of the new cmp wood nor am I any type of gunsmith BUT these stocks are not the best fitting for any of the offereings WHY is a answer we will never know. I don't think the armors spent hours fitting stocks? That said .........what do you expect from a sub 200$ stock from boyds? I don't care who ordered the specs or if some mystic garand God told boyds what to do ....its a 200$ slab of wood put out by boyds......in my projects over the years boyds is the LEE reloaders of the stock world. They work or can be made to work....if there's another stock maker out there that can make a correct fitting stock for under 200$ I'm all ears......also sad to hear cmp is dropping the 03 stock. Hmmmm maybe cmp has themselves relized the stocks do intact fall short.....gets me thinking what the custom shop will do for wood replacement and fitting?
            Back 2 or 3 years ago one of the nicest '03 stocks was done by Mike Kokulus in Pennsylvania. The ones he did for me, in my opinion, exceeded GI stocks for fit. Before he passed away he quit doing them as he felt there was no money in them due to the amount of labor. At that time a pre-war c stock from him was $300. and there was a 6 month wait. Right now Northridge has 03A3 stocks on Ebay ongoing for I think $210 new old stock, and the guy in the Netherlands has C stocks for a bit over $300. Not too long ago I think the CMP sold GI c stocks for $150. The market for high end military stocks seems to be limited.

Comment

• 3StrikesNC
              • Oct 2009

Looks like this thread is back on a civilized track, so I'll now continue. Anyone that believes the CMP offerings (Dupage re-dos of commercially available stocks as I understand) at < $200 is a ripoff need only order one 03/A3 stock direct from the current manufacturer.

I will promise you, you'll only do that once and then be begging for a CMP version. You will, however, have plenty of kindling to ignite your fireplace with after the modifications you've done for fit and finish to mimic an as-issued.

True, if you want something nice to look at, most of the CMP versions can be finished to look pretty good straight out of the box. As stated above, if you're looking to squeeze out MOA accuracy then you have some work cut out, but of course, if you're about MOA, you already knew you would likely not be "dropping" your hardware in this stock.

But at least this option (CMP), was there and could be made to work for what you wanted it to do (competition). My post (#4), was about just that. It was also about those trying to make the shortcut and get something for nothing, or little to no money, then complaining that it didn't fit their bill (kind of like the ACA-- affordable healthcare for all, yeah right). Nothing is for free, my point.

And so for the naysayers, I do normally try to settle in to about 7 lbs. of upward FORCE, but that's a "feel" guesstimate. I have no accurate method of determining pressure, because as we all know, pressure equals mass divided by supporting area, and I just don't feel like calculating the true front "pad" contact area of the stock on the barrel and the actual resultant forces.
              Last edited by 3StrikesNC; 11-18-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Paladin601
                Banned
                • Jul 2010

well I thought I would give another company a try on the stocks, thinking I was missing something. I ordered a 1903 C stock from that big company in the Quaker State. Received it today, sending it back today. The Advertise it as Walnut, it's not. Walnut colored. Not even the correct profile. They Advertise drop in, it's not.

I re=ordered a 03 stock from the CMP. People just don't know what a good thing they have.

Comment

• Dollar Bill
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Paladin601 View Post
                  well I thought I would give another company a try on the stocks, thinking I was missing something. I ordered a 1903 C stock from that big company in the Quaker State. Received it today, sending it back today. The Advertise it as Walnut, it's not. Walnut colored. Not even the correct profile. They Advertise drop in, it's not.

I re=ordered a 03 stock from the CMP. People just don't know what a good thing they have.
                  I agree. Despite some fitting issues I'm having, I truly am happy to have been given the opportunity to purchase 2 stocks with the CMP cartouche. The fitting I'm having to do is a great learning tool. They both currently are shimmed under the tang but with some inletting work this winter, they'll be completely CMP legal.

After shimming to achieve good forend pressure as specified in the manual, both rifles deliver outstanding accuracy, typically around 1.5MOA with handloads.

This one's set up with match rifle sights but the 03A3 is in issue configuration. Both are salvaged "bubba" rifles.

Bill

Comment

• Paladin601
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Dollar Bill View Post
                    I agree. Despite some fitting issues I'm having, I truly am happy to have been given the opportunity to purchase 2 stocks with the CMP cartouche. The fitting I'm having to do is a great learning tool. They both currently are shimmed under the tang but with some inletting work this winter, they'll be completely CMP legal.

After shimming to achieve good forend pressure as specified in the manual, both rifles deliver outstanding accuracy, typically around 1.5MOA with handloads.

This one's set up with match rifle sights but the 03A3 is in issue configuration. Both are salvaged "bubba" rifles.

came out really nice

Comment

• 3StrikesNC
                      • Oct 2009

BTW, I 100% agree with you on the stocks. In fact, I spent another three to four hours yesterday on prepping one for an A3. A lot of rough sanding to get the bottom of the stock even with the magazine. Nice job on the '03 above.

Comment

• CadillacMike
                        • Oct 2009

So no more M1903A3 stocks from the e-store eh? I still see M1903 stocks though...
                        - Registered CMP customer since 2004
                        - LTC USA (Ret)
                        - iTrader 50+ positive feedbacks at 100% before its curtailment
                        - Post your new or old buyer / seller comments here:
                        http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567

Comment

Working...
                        X