Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Default .38 spl Hodgdon data out of date?

In searching the published data for .38 special 158 grain SWC, I turned to Hodgdon's data and was surprised that it is so low compared to published data, both online and printed.

For instance, their starting load is 3.1 Win 231/Hp38 and max is 3.7. Other data suggests that 4.0 to even 4.5 is more than safe in modern .38 caliber revolvers and a few sources of data, individuals - not published, have gone higher. While I take the personal data with less authority than published, and I do recognize different sources use different pistols, how is Hodgdon so conservative?

Online searching tells me that I am not the only one scratching my head over this inconsistency. Anyone have opinions on this?

Just curious.

grumpa72
Old 10-06-2019, 11:13 AM

I would ask when was the Hodgdon data collected and was the measuring method CUP or PSI? I have read from reliable sources (my reloading texts and trusted forum members) that powder manufacturere keep a 4% consistency in performance/burn speed,etc., for newer manufactured powders vs. the "standard" for that powder. Personally I believe any variations from past (old) data is due to better testing methods...
Old 10-06-2019, 03:47 PM

I have often seen lower 'max' data for both HBWC and SWC .38Spl, with the reasoning being the popularity of the very soft swaged .358's from Speer, Hornady, and Winchester.

The lower velocities were meant to make sure those softer swaged bullets wouldn't lead the bbl - very often the cast SWC's are able to take considerably greater velocity than their swaged counterparts.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:41 AM

Thank you for the comments.