Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2019, 11:30 PM

Default .32 Win Special question

Here in California we have to use only non lead ammo starting this year for deer hunting. I have a Winchester model 94 in .32 win special caliber. No one makes copper bullets in .321 diameter. My question is could I use 8 mm (.323} bullets instead? With the difference of only .002 I was wondering if anyone has tried this in the past. I chucked a couple of 8 mm mauser bullets in a drill and filed them down to .321 and shot them this afternoon. I also sawed them flat so they would be flat nosed. They shot very well at a 100 yard target. I was wanting to buy a box of Barnes bullets and not have to file them down to .321. Any thoughts ?
Old 09-21-2019, 01:50 AM

150 Grain .321 Expanding Bullets for 32 special (Box Qty - 50)
https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php?prod=321150REX

The Maker REX bullets are precision cnc machined, lead free, solid copper expanding projectiles with a polymer tip for improved ballistics coefficient. REX projectiles expand to nearly 3 times the original diameter while maintaining nearly 100% of its original weight. Each REX projectile has been engineered to perform in a given velocity range to provide unparalleled performance across a wide variety of calibers and weapons platforms.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:25 AM

I wonder if the polymer top would allow loading in the tubular magazine of a lever action? If not recommended, I guess you could get by with one in the chamber and one in the magazine.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaTango View Post
. . . I guess you could get by with one in the chamber and one in the magazine.
^^^^^^This is the way to go.^^^^^^
Old 09-21-2019, 06:30 PM

bigedp51, thanks for the heads up about Maker bullets. I ordered a box this morning. They only had a few boxes left. Now if I could find someone that makes .330 copper bullets for my M95 (8x56R) carbines I will be all set.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:23 PM

I pulled the bullets on two lead rounds and reloaded the cases with the same powder and new copper bullets. Went out back and shot two lead rounds and the two new.copper rounds through the chrony. I got almost the same velocity and point of impact although the lead bullets are 170 grains and the copper are 150. I went back in the house and pulled 48 more bullets and changed them over to copper.Now if anyone has a lead on .330 copper bullets I will be all set on my odd ball calibers.

Last edited by jpuisis; 10-05-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Miss spelled a word