Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 04:15 PM

Default SA SG report 7/12/2012

I was the only visitor in the store this morning for the first 15 minutes, couldn't have been more than six or eight visitors total up to the time I left at ~9:45. Was only interested in the SA SGs, so that's all I can report on regarding condition.

There were about eight SA SGs on the racks when I walked in at 7:45, another half dozen were brought out a half hour later. I got the impression from the back room banter that the staff is hesitant to display many SA SGs on the floor. High mail order demand, perhaps. WWIIs and postwars were about evenly split, all had GI wood, wood condition was very so-so. The only two that I found appealing enough to ship home were two arsenal rebuilds, a 3.2M SA '65 rebuild and a 3.1M LEAD '65 rebuild, both with '65 barrels and exceptional freshly parked finishes. However, both had substitute non-rebuild trigger groups and stocks. MWs are "0" and "0.5" respectively. Also saw a 3.0M LEAD '64 rebuild, and a 5.3M with NM barrel (MW of 1) and NM op rod. Unfortunately, without the CMP certification the NM parts don't mean much.

HRA and SA FGs galore, maybe 200 total, examined only a few to pass the time but didn't find any "gems." No doubt there are some, just didn't bother to look that closely. Probably 60-80 HRA SGs. The few I looked over had excellent metal but so-so GI wood. One solitary WRA, an SG that was not a WIN-13, black finish and a postwar barrel in CMP orange birch. Lotsa Krags and snipers, didn't pay them much attention.

That's all folks.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the report, TennBoy; I think I also passed on that WRA in tangerine a couple months back. May run over Sat AM for some ammo and it's always good to know what not to expect in the racks. As far as your buys, the sixties SA barrels always get excellent ratings. You should have a pair of shooters!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Hello Tenn Boy,
Well I honestly figured one day I would run into you again most likely at the south store but you beat me by two days. I am in hopes to be there Saturday morning. Wife has a reason to be over in the Big B over the weekend. I came to the forum looking for a South store report and given your attention to detail there could not have been better except you should have individually inspected all the Krags for me.
I know you said lotsa Krags could you ball park a vague number. I was going to call the South Store tomorrow afternoon and make sure they had some before I made the 30 mile detour. No m1917s in the rack I take it? The magnificent Eddy I got last October needs a rack friend and I know if I go and don't get a Krag or 1917 I will walk out with another Garand which I dont really need but I obviously would have to buy once there.
Thanks for the post again.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnguns View Post
you said lotsa Krags could you ball park a vague number.
Unfortunately cats, vague must the number be. Krags were in two locations, maybe a dozen long barrel and cut-downs on a floor rack, and another dozen chromed and painted parade guns on a wall rack. Didn't check bores, missing parts, overall condition.

No '17s.

Did you suffer the same miserable heat wave in Mississippi that we did in East Tennessee late June/early July? I think it got up to 107 degrees one day here. My daughter in Florida was enjoying nice "cool" 91-degree weather that same day, as I recall!

I still get tickled when I think of how you got your handle "catsnguns." I still picture the hotel maid scream.....well, I won't give the whole story away!

Last edited by Tennboy; 07-12-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 PM

It sounds like the same Krags I looked at 2 weeks ago. The cut downs are not "phillipine constabulary" just cut down. It truely looked like someone took a hacksaw to the barrels, ouch. Missing parts , broken and screwed together stocks. The chrome are just that, no interest to me. I did buy the only white painted one that looked like it had any hope. It has turned out to have an excellent non-cartouched stock, good blueing, and a bore that, with much effort, is 80% of the way to being great.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 AM

Smile

Tenn boy and renovate 7 thanks for the quick replies. I could have swore I posted a response to both of you yesterday evening but I might have forgot to hit the submit reply or turned the lap top off before it had time to post as we are satelite linked and we had a lot of rain in here.
Tenn boy up until two days ago the weather here was as you suspected. We had a single break about two and a half weeks ago where we got one of those violent wind storms like the upper eastern seaboard and you all in East Tn. got last week. No relief even at night. I cut some hay over in the evening into the night and it stayed hot enough to cure it so that it was dry enough to bale the next morning before the dew got off. Our church didnot grill out on our annual 4th of July weekend cook out to save the grill teams from the heat which has never been done. On the Fourth a guy my wife works with posted a video supposedly of his unlit grill sitting in the sun slowly cooking a burger just from radiant heat of the sun and a guy over in Memphis posted a video to Channel 3 news of an egg frying on the sidewalk I think if these are to be believed. I know I was moving some Rip-Rap by hand one night well after dark to fix a old wash out and although totally dark and drinking lots of water and G2 I got in trouble. Not as smart or heat tolerant as I once was.
Speaking of cats and the heat. I am watching two bottle baby kittens battle in the living room as I type. Two of four given to us seperately that have survived. Lost two others that no amount of hydration, milk replacer, nutrical, vitamins ad attention could save. I think both had heat exhaustion and one I am sure had brain damage from heat exposure.
Anyway thanks for the general report if there isn't a diamond in the rough Krag I might ship back another Garand. Of course I really want another m1917 to keep the one the CMP sent me last fall company in the rifle rack but those appear to be all out or at the NMs.

Renovate7 thanks for your quick response as well. You have the diamond in the rough I am in hopes will be there overlooked by all these crazy Garand nuts (okay I am one as well). I think someone posted a picture of a cleaned up from the paint DP krag recently. Was that you? If so I am very jealous and I hope I can find one. I fell in love with the Krag some years back outside of what was one of the last Smoky Mountain Gun Collector Shows held in downtown k-town right before I got married. I was also at Gettysburg PA on a battlefield tour about five years ago and while in downtown G-burg getting lunch I came upon a hole in the wall shop off the beaten path full of antique military rifles. In the back up stairs in a case by itself was a infantry Krag that looked like it belonged in the Springfield museum collection. I am in no way expecting anything that nice but have been very surprised at the condition of some of the rifles that have been showing up recently so I thought i would give it a shot. Mainly want it to use for teaching and as part of my odd ball bolt gun collection. If not there is always those silly Garands or one of the MN snipers AIM supposedly has if they have any left.
Again thanks to both of you for your reports. I guess I will be there bright and early Saturday morning and see what happens.

Last edited by catsnguns; 07-13-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: crazy stuff in the post
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 AM

I think the thick white paint on the wood and black paint on the metal actually protected the gun. Kind of fun, hopefully not disapointing, to see what's under it.