Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 AM

It had some rust spots on the barrel and as I cleaned them off the coating seemed to just go away without much trouble at all. It could be an old blue coating. Unfortunately I think age has taken its toll.
I didn't show it but the dry wall screws on the buttplate and the one sling swivel made me laugh.

I have no doubt the rifle was taken care of at one time and used on many hunting trips. I am sure someone inherited it or was given it, needed money and dumped it at the local pawn shop.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Smile 03A3 parts

Hello,
PM sent
Bob
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned

very nicely done, 03, 'cept for the coating, you might consider keeping it the way it is. Sporterized 03 are just as much part of the history as the military versions.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM

It may have been cold blued. Cold blue is no where near as durable as hot blue. It doesn't penetrate the metal like hot blue. You didn't show the muzzle end of the barrel. Has it been cut?
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 PM

It is about 2 inches short . I had a drill barrel From an old SC 03A3 that i did some testing with my light sanding pad (not sandpaper) and it made no change to the drill barrel. The barrel on the Remington the coating came right off. So looks like I will take it all off.

The coating is on all the metal. It started as a fine 03A3 and was turned into a nice sporter some 50 years ago. It has not been cared for in a while so I figure it will remain a sporter. However I will clean it up and make it nice again

Stripped the stock and cleaned it up it is hanging and drying now. The stock and barrel has been bedded. Cleaned the barrel and it is a nice and very clean 2 groove barrel. Don't have me or te gauges but passes a go, no go and field gauge test. On and HXP averaging more than 1/4 inch or so still showing..

Last edited by aljkw; 03-03-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Tags
remington 1903-a3