Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 AM

$650 would be an extremely good deal on a SG quality 03A3 (and honestly is a price that not many people will encounter for a non-Greek return rifle). IMHO, $575 - $600 would be a fair offer given the rifle's condition which looks to be excellent. If I purchased the rifle, I'd likely just leave the Lyman sight alone and shoot it as is.

My feedback: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131218
Old 02-24-2018, 09:56 PM

Thumbs up

One thing to consider on that rifle is the pristine condition of the original finish and condition of the early stock. If it's also an early rifle a pinned stock would be correct. From as little as I can see it looks like the stock metal, bolt and other parts that should be blued are blued. A big deduction in value could come from whether an aftermarket commercial Lyman or other ramp style or target style front sight was installed. Then you have the problem of whether the barrel was shortened (which was commonly done) or modified negatively to install the commercial sight. If it still retains the original front sight you are really in luck. Then all you have to be concerned about is the slight reduction in value because of the drilled and tapped holes on the side that any good gunsmith could take care of for you. In that condition, with that original stock and finish, if it has as good a barrel as it's condition, it's easily a $600+ rifle. There simply are not very many A3 rifles around these days with receivers in original finish like that one.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:45 AM

I really appreciate all of the input. I will take some more pictures.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
One thing to consider on that rifle is the pristine condition of the original finish and condition of the early stock. If it's also an early rifle a pinned stock would be correct. From as little as I can see it looks like the stock metal, bolt and other parts that should be blued are blued. A big deduction in value could come from whether an aftermarket commercial Lyman or other ramp style or target style front sight was installed. Then you have the problem of whether the barrel was shortened (which was commonly done) or modified negatively to install the commercial sight. If it still retains the original front sight you are really in luck. Then all you have to be concerned about is the slight reduction in value because of the drilled and tapped holes on the side that any good gunsmith could take care of for you. In that condition, with that original stock and finish, if it has as good a barrel as it's condition, it's easily a $600+ rifle. There simply are not very many A3 rifles around these days with receivers in original finish like that one.
I have to agree with Lapriester on this one. Original rifles in this condition will almost always bring at least $600 to $700 as long as the rest of the rifle that we don't see is in the same condition. I don't think the receiver sight is as big a deal as you make it out to be as for most people it makes it easier to shoot the rifle. If the price is right I would buy it and keep the sight on it and have fun with it just the way it is.

Rick H.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Additional Pics

I looked at the rifle again and took some pics. Does the rest of the rifle look original? He had a rubber butt plate sleeve/bumper that discolored the butt stock a bit. I was thinking of offering $600.

https://public.fotki.com/VosParate/1...d=fs_slideshow
Old 03-08-2018, 10:51 AM

I see a Smith Corona trigger guard.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:12 PM

Pretty nice rifle. The front sight blade needs replacement, the buttplate is SC and it looks like the stock was cut to fit the receiver sight. IMO, $600 is OK. Good Shooting. ....
Old 03-18-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Pretty nice rifle. The front sight blade needs replacement, the buttplate is SC and it looks like the stock was cut to fit the receiver sight. IMO, $600 is OK. Good Shooting. ....
What is the issue regarding the front sight? Has the stock been altered on the right side for the rear sight?
Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 AM

I went ahead and purchased the rifle and I decided to leave the sight as is. It shoots really well.

What is the purpose of the elevation plate screw? I found the Lyman manual but it is clear as mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
Sight is a Lyman 57. The received bridge is drilled and tapped for two screws on the side. One is visible on the rear of the sight base, the other will be under the slide when you remove it.

I replied to your PM, but not sure what you are trying to do.

Respectfully,
Bob S.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:03 AM

Zero the rifle at some distance (200yds would be good), loosen the screw and move the plate to a midpoint number. You now have a reference point to make adjustments in fractional MOA increments. ..... Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 04-10-2018 at 09:08 AM.