Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2020, 08:45 PM

Default Redfield ART1 AR TEL with M14 mount

o. I have the opportunity to pick one of these up next week. What kind of sticker shock should I be prepared for?
o. Said to have the original M118 Ball cam and in very good condition
o. What do I look for as far as fakes go?
o. Been reading up but usually can count on advice from here.
Price, fair to good. _______
Price, good to Excellent. _______
Price, Excellent +. _______
o. Any advice so as not to make a costly mistake, unfortunately can't see it till
I have to opportunity to see it.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:25 AM

I bought one ten years ago, but prices have escalated. There were less than 2,000 AR TELs produced for the Vietnam War, if memory serves. And most, particularly the lower serial numbers, went to Vietnam - again, from what information I was able to glean at the time.

I would certainly be willing to pay up to at least $2500 if mechanically and optically solid, good to excellent in a good original aluminum scope can with intact latches. Look it over carefully, make sure all screws are present and it has not been taken apart or messed with by Bubba and the leaf spring in the mount is intact (the spring that kept the cam down against the base stud should not be handled roughly - don't try to lift a rifle by the scope body).
If it is decent and you can swing it, go for it. If it does need work, Iron Sight does have knowledge and parts (they overhauled the one I bought - dirt inside).

Excellent plus would be more, but much less likely to have been to the 'Nam. I prefer to collect stuff that was there, myself, over pristine stuff that stayed in the arms room, but some must have perfect. And, by the way, either an M80 or .50BMG cam would still be just fine because they are so very rare - I have never seen one on a scope or offered for sale - probably in a warehouse somewhere.....

A very neat piece of US Military History and a better solution for ranging than mildots. The top scoring US .mil Sniper of the Vietnam War, Sgt. Waldron, used an XM-21 with both an AR TEL and a PVS-2 STARLIGHT scope to run up an impressive score. Why we again mess with calculations today when an ART scope with a properly ground cam and properly loaded ammo eliminate the need and you are instantly ranged by merely bracketing your target I don't know. Jim Leatherwood invented a better mousetrap and we should still be using it. He was also a fine and modest gentleman - I bought the last two ART IIs he could sell the public from him back when the War on Terror was just getting started over the phone and it was a real pleasure. CC

Last edited by Col. Colt; 01-24-2020 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:30 AM

I appreciate the info, found out about this and figure why not and see if I can get it without over paying for it, if I don't buy it, it didn't cost me anything. All I know is what I've read up on and to attempt to identify it as the real thing. Hadn't seen much to the reference of the M80 or .50BMG cams.
Just for shits and giggles, if it was in good shape and I were sent it in to have it checked out, any ballpark as to the cost? Like I said, pretty much going in to this blind.
Years ago I had to leave and auction that had the real deal BM59 in it. It wasn't listed, got there late and gave it a quick once over and had seen pictures of them and read a little about them. I should have left a bid with my buddy but didn't, a real nice 03A3, a real nice one, went for $500 and the 59 went for $900. Can you kick me where the sun doesn't shine?
Old 01-25-2020, 01:25 AM

When you miss out on some things, you kick yourself. I had an SA BM-59 - beautiful workmanship, nice rifle, but not as accurate as an M1A. The Tri-Compensator sure worked, though - if we would have had it on the M14E2 it would have been a roaring success.

There is a saying regarding collectibles - you don't pay too much, you just pay it too soon! One of 2000 units from the Vietnam War Sniper world WILL appreciate. CC