Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Default Buying an M1 Carbine

I know a guy that is selling 2 M1 Carbines. One is a pristine Winchester and the other is a pristine Rockola. These rifles have not been rebuilt and appear to have all the correct parts. First question, if you could only buy one, which would it be, and what would be a fair price to pay? The uncle of a very good friend of mine is selling both. I haven't seen the rifles yet, but I will take the word of my friend that they are both outstanding rifles.

Thanks for you comments.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 PM

I'd make sure I bought both. lol. Personally, I'd say the Rock-Ola just because it's a musicbox Not sure what would be a fair price. I'm still new to carbines.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Default buying

Make them tell you what they want for them. I'd get the Rock.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:15 PM

+1 on the Rock. I've got a SG Winchester and really like it. But it's not any different than the other 8. You pay extra for the name, not because it's rear or better built. I fact I don't think the finish on my Win. is as good as all my others.
My RG Rock-Ola, on the other hand has a nicer finish and shoot better than the Win. A lot fewer Rock's were made than the Winchester. Even if it costs the same as the Win., I'd pick the Rock and save up to buy a Winchester.
The Win.'s hold no magic for me, it's just another carbine maker I've added to my collection. Now if only I could find a nice Saginaw S'G' ......
J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Get them both!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 PM

The Rock is harder to find because they made fewer of them. The Winchester holds the mystique of the name plus the fact that the carbine was originally designed by Winchester even though Inland made the most. You can't go wrong with either one. If they are, in fact, pristine, unmodified carbines expect to pay a premium price. As stated above, make them price it, then haggle. Don't forget to post pics when you get it.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 AM

Default When negotiating for anything, never give a price, ask them what they want

reduce to 3/4 or 50% depending upon what it is and let them come up. When you reach your tolerance level, let them know that that's it. This usually gets them back to reality, at which point they tell you "so long" or come back closer to your price point. Giving a top price and walking sometimes works as well.

Learned this from the Vietnamese, they were good at it.

I have actually had people tell me that they can't do it because they would be cheating the seller. Ha! If you are happy and the seller is happy, the deal is fine. All it takes is the balls to try. Two rules in dealing:
1. A fool and his money are soon parted.
2. The only substitute for money is knowledge.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:13 PM

I would buy the Winchester. Why? because all theses other guys said to buy the Rock and because I like to be different. LOL

Now the truth is I'd buy the Rock.
First because it is harder to find, and everybody loves a juke box.
Secondly you will have a lot better chance of finding a Winchester later.
Then you'll have one of each.
Good luck with your offer.
And may Loki stay away that day.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:45 PM

If they are just a nice or nicer than a SG CMP carbine...
offer him 1,000 total for both, and go from there.......

As he goes up, you can always say no.

If he takes it, and attracted to making an easy 1k, you might just come out with two great little carbines.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 PM

If they appear to have original rear sight, safety, mag catch, front barrel band, barrel, stock/handguard, etc.. more likely $1K per...Doesn't matter which one you buy, but as indicated by others buy both and be twice as happy...