Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 AM
thebearpack thebearpack is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraaaken View Post
Didnít mean to offend anyone. It is indeed historical and really just want all to be happy with their purchase. Good luck to us all!
I don't think you offended everyone. It's just that as was pointed out, most people knew perfectly well that there was no way a correct gun was going to sell for $1050. That's just not the reality of the market and CMP never promised any such thing.

Honestly I'm impressed by the few that have been shown so far. I've been saying for a while that these 1911s would be a good investment and that is being proven now IMO. If any of those shown so far were put on GB (even without the CMP provenance) they would sell for 20-25% more than the purchase price without any trouble.

I have no skin in this game but just want to help people understand that based on what has been received so far, they have nothing to worry about as far as making a bad decision putting in for one.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Fogtripper Fogtripper is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
I don't think you offended everyone. It's just that as was pointed out, most people knew perfectly well that there was no way a correct gun was going to sell for $1050. That's just not the reality of the market and CMP never promised any such thing.
I somewhat doubt that they are doing data sheets and checking Clawson's big book for each pistol to see if it is correct. Unless it has a rare slide or SN it would hold things up quite a bit to be henpecking the "correct" ones.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 AM
thebearpack thebearpack is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
I somewhat doubt that they are doing data sheets and checking Clawson's big book for each pistol to see if it is correct. Unless it has a rare slide or SN it would hold things up quite a bit to be henpecking the "correct" ones.
Point taken but it's honestly not that hard to tell if a 1911 is substantially original or rare. These aren't carbines or Garands with lots of marked small parts. Looking at the one posted by TexasDan in the official picture thread for example, it's close to being correct for a late Remington Rand (save the hammer and maybe thumb safety). It's clearly not original though, and that's my point. If the staff comes across a USS that appears to still be all dulite, I think they'll give it a second look. Similarly if there's one that at first glance appears to be in original condition, they might check it a little more closely. Why wouldn't they take a few minutes to separate potential auction pieces? One might slip through here and there but by and large I think folks should expect rebuilds per the CMP's description, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-15-2018, 10:22 AM
M1 Carbine M1 Carbine is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
Default

She's a beauty!
every time I open my email and see I rec'd an email from CMP and it turns out to be an update my stomach flips... in a good way though... I think

keep the pics coming, its exciting

Carry On
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-15-2018, 07:32 PM
DdoubleU DdoubleU is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 35
Default

If you've followed this post from beginning to end, you know the pistol I received is a Marine Corps rebuild. From what I learned from feedback and research, that's kinda rare. I've found something else that peaks my interest. I found a M R under the acceptance stamp. I'm looking for expert opinion on this. http://imgur.com/gallery/jOClBgD
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 11-15-2018, 08:08 PM
RD69 RD69 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DdoubleU View Post
If you've followed this post from beginning to end, you know the pistol I received is a Marine Corps rebuild. From what I learned from feedback and research, that's kinda rare. I've found something else that peaks my interest. I found a M R under the acceptance stamp. I'm looking for expert opinion on this. http://imgur.com/gallery/jOClBgD
Not an expert but M R was used at the Mt. Rainier Ord. Depot
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 11-15-2018, 08:25 PM
DdoubleU DdoubleU is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD69 View Post
Not an expert but M R was used at the Mt. Rainier Ord. Depot
I agree, however I've never seen an arsenal mark placed there.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 PM
Shomway Shomway is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,848
Send a message via AIM to Shomway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DdoubleU View Post
I agree, however I've never seen an arsenal mark placed there.
And the letters look a bit "fat".....
https://i.postimg.cc/1tkwgLG4/MR-45-Marking.jpg
__________________
31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 PM
TW56 TW56 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DdoubleU View Post
If you've followed this post from beginning to end, you know the pistol I received is a Marine Corps rebuild. From what I learned from feedback and research, that's kinda rare. I've found something else that peaks my interest. I found a M R under the acceptance stamp. I'm looking for expert opinion on this. http://imgur.com/gallery/jOClBgD
DdoubleU, I think your stamp in question below the ordnance wheel stamp is not M-R but it is a poorly stamped M-B

M-B may be a stamp indicating the frame received a magnetic particle inspection. Part of the thread on another forum discusses the M-B stamp. https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=976754

Maybe the M indicates magnetic particle inspection and the B indicates Barstow(USMC)?

Last edited by TW56; 11-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 11-16-2018, 11:15 AM
DdoubleU DdoubleU is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW56 View Post
DdoubleU, I think your stamp in question below the ordnance wheel stamp is not M-R but it is a poorly stamped M-B

M-B may be a stamp indicating the frame received a magnetic particle inspection. Part of the thread on another forum discusses the M-B stamp. https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=976754

Maybe the M indicates magnetic particle inspection and the B indicates Barstow(USMC)?
Very helpful. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.