Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2019, 01:04 PM

Question 1898 Krag: Ersatz sight micrometer

One of my local clubs (Pascagoula, MS) now has electronic targets and is holding occasional informal practice sessions at 600 yds with the new system. The first thing I noticed in shooting on an electronic target is my complete loss of any feeling of sympathy for that poor sod in the pits. No feeling that I had to shoot small and snappy to minimize his workload. This started me thinking, "Why not blow the cobwebs out of the 1898 Krag and bring it to a practice session?"

Looking at the Buffington-pattern 1901 rear sight gave me pause. How was I going to reliably adjust that thing? I don't own a Pope 1901 sight micrometer and don't want to spend $200-$300 to folks want for one. A caliper works but only on the bench. It would be too unwieldy in prone position.

Has anyone ever used a taper gauge to set a Buffington rear sight on a Krag or '03 Springfield? How'd that go? I've ordered a 15 mm taper gauge, which should give me enough elevation for 600 yds. I don't think I'll try the Krag at 1000. Bullets would be subsonic at that range.

Tags
buffington, krag, micrometer