Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2020, 06:45 PM

Personally, I never understood the provenance "mystique" of a CMP certificate, especially after watching the 1911 lottery thread. Most of those were serious mixmasters selling for way more $$$ than a gun from an individual with matching parts. Seems like either CMP, or an arsenal, stuck together what ever parts were on hand in the bins. They will shoot just fine, but the new owner will likely be looking for "correction" trade parts. Especially on the rare models...

Russ
Old 01-18-2020, 01:38 AM

Russ: The certificate is proof that the arm came from US Army Arsenal and has not been tinkered with. Further, the certificate allows the owner to use the excellent repair facility staffed by people who know these rifles and how to expertly repair them. Perhaps the certificate has the most value for the Garand and Carbine.

Last edited by Mountain Walker; 01-18-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=When it came it was labeled as a Bavarian and dated 8-44. This would have meant it was never issued to a GI, but was sent to Steiermark, Austria where it was in storage for 64 years.[/QUOTE]

You sure the carbine had never been issued to a GI? Could have been collected from a unit in Germany after the war and provided to the Bavarians for their use.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Walker View Post
In 2009 there was a great time warp and thousands of 1940ís M1 Carbines were released to the CMP. I had always wanted one and quick as a wink ordered a Service Grade Inland Motors for $495. When it came it was labeled as a Bavarian and dated 8-44. This would have meant it was never issued to a GI, but was sent to Steiermark, Austria where it was in storage for 64 years. They took such good care of it there are no dings and only minuscule rust and cosmoline left to clean up. It even came with a certificate, which means I can send it in if it ever needs repair. Sure wished I had ordered a few more.
Not sure how this would have been possible since the U.S. Army didn't start to occupy Austria till 1945....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied-occupied_Austria
Old 01-18-2020, 09:19 AM

In general people don't know what is going to make one thing more valuable over a similar item when looking 40-50 years into the future.

That's not the only factor driving the issue, but I'll keep the other one that I can think of to myself.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:34 AM

C'mon, you cackled, now lay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant View Post
In general people don't know what is going to make one thing more valuable over a similar item when looking 40-50 years into the future.

That's not the only factor driving the issue, but I'll keep the other one that I can think of to myself.

Last edited by milwaukeeshaker; 01-18-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Not sure how this would have been possible since the U.S. Army didn't start to occupy Austria till 1945....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied-occupied_Austria
I think you are correct. It must have been issued or at least in US inventory prior being issued to government of Austria. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
You sure the carbine had never been issued to a GI? Could have been collected from a unit in Germany after the war and provided to the Bavarians for their use.
Your scenario seems plausible.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Walker View Post
Russ: The certificate is proof that the arm came from US Army Arsenal and has not been tinkered with. Further, the certificate allows the owner to use the excellent repair facility staffed by people who know these rifles and how to expertly repair them. Perhaps the certificate has the most value for the Garand and Carbine.
What makes you think that the CMP or another country did not "tinkerd with" the rifle. The Certificate does not say that, only that the CMP sold it to you or someone else.?????

"And the Certificate allows the owner to use the excellent repair facility staffed by people who know these rifles and how to expertly repair them." Can you explain this more????????? Is this a free service, and only if you have a certificate????

Your posts, not just in this thread, really are saying some things that might not be true. Please explain??????

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 01-18-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeshaker View Post
C'mon, you cackled, now lay.
Nothing special, just that people can invest wisely.