Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2017, 10:21 AM

Default Modern Sniper Rifle Match

I started to post this as a reply to the thread on the Modern Military Match, then I thought rather than hi-jack that one, I would just start afresh.

I would like to see something of this sort offered by CMP, and I am curious to see if the Long Range matches in the 2018 schedule may by along these lines. Something open to modern scoped rifles. I would prefer it be an individual match rather than a team match (ala Vintage Sniper Match). I would also like to see the sandbags, bipods, etc. deleted. Shooters could elect to fire with a sling for support, or maybe over a backpack (although I could see the definition of backpack becoming an issue). Distances could probably start about where the vintage match does, but one or two longer stages could be added (700 and or 800 yards?).

What do you all think? Good idea, or too difficult to organize/manage?

Howard
Old 08-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Howard, I, too, would like to see if this is a go. I do not think that bipods should be banned since most modern sniper rifles are equipped with bipods and that is often the preferred method of support. Using a sling is the least preferred method so if someone wants to use the sling, I'm OK with that but I expect few takers. I can go either way on teams or individuals but shooting as an individual will likely be much simpler. Modern optics give sufficient FOV that a spotter isn't as important as it was when optics had a crappy FOV. Rick
Old 08-03-2017, 12:37 PM

The main reason I was thinking about dropping the bipod is to keep a little more marksmanship skill in the game. Although, I suppose if shooters are allowed to use a bipod, but no rear bag or monopod, it might accomplish the same thing.

Howard
Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM

So like mid-range prone......
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
I suppose if shooters are allowed to use a bipod, but no rear bag or monopod, it might accomplish the same thing.
I think that is a very good suggestion. Most folks really don't know how to employ a bipod to get the most out of it. Those who do will score better especially at the longer ranges
Old 08-03-2017, 01:05 PM

Howard, something else I would suggest is no sighters. As you know, in the real world there are no sighters. You must know your weapon and ammo and be able to read the conditions accurately and apply the appropriate corrects. Trigger pulling is the more basic skill. Applying the right dope is where the serious level of skill exists. Being allowed to quickly verify zero at a non-competition range would be OK. Rick
Old 08-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Howard, something else I would suggest is no sighters. As you know, in the real world there are no sighters. You must know your weapon and ammo and be able to read the conditions accurately and apply the appropriate corrects. Trigger pulling is the more basic skill. Applying the right dope is where the serious level of skill exists. Being allowed to quickly verify zero at a non-competition range would be OK. Rick
I like that idea! Know your rifle, read the environmentals, apply your corrections, and shoot!

Howard
Old 08-03-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
So like mid-range prone......
Basically.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:19 PM

Would this be a "Any Rifle and Scope" type category or would there be specific rifles/ equipment used? All hypothetical of course.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thmountain View Post
Would this be a "Any Rifle and Scope" type category or would there be specific rifles/ equipment used? All hypothetical of course.
I had to give this one some thought (always a dangerous undertaking). My first impression was basically "whatever someone wants to carry downrange is OK." Then I had the mental image of someone showing up with a scope rubberbanded to a field artillery piece, and it suddenly seemed like it might be wise to impose some parameters. What do you guys think? Nothing over .35 Caliber? .40 Caliber? .50?

Howard