Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
I suspect the "Long Range" matches, are those matches that will replace those left vacant by the NRA's move to Indiana. Look up Mid-Range Prone and F-Class.

I was simply responding to the suggestion that the National Matches have lost their focus on marksmanship. Another games match, that looks like F-Class and Mid-Range Prone, seems redundant if they plan to go the route they have talked about.
I had the same suspicion regarding the replacement of the NRA matches. Also, and please forgive my ignorance, what route have they talked about going?

Howard
Old 08-04-2017, 09:06 AM

I hope the route they are going keeps the focus on marksmanship and attracting new people and hopefully younger people. I'm 39, I shoot matches against the same guys between the ages of 45 and 70. They have the same thinking as Rootsy. For some reason, their sons would rather work on cars or play video games than go shoot a match. I don't know anyone my age and younger who owns a rifle knows what XTC or what distinguished or HM means. If they did, they like me, don't care. Something needs to be done for sure because match shooting will go extinct.

And yes, have a .50 cal match.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
That would make it a 7.62 match, which might get really interesting at the longer distances.

Howard
Yep
Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
I'm 39, I shoot matches against the same guys between the ages of 45 and 70. They have the same thinking as Rootsy. For some reason, their sons would rather work on cars or play video games than go shoot a match. I don't know anyone my age and younger who owns a rifle knows what XTC or what distinguished or HM means. If they did, they like me, don't care. Something needs to be done for sure because match shooting will go extinct.
You certainly have a point that younger shooters in general have little interest in conventional competitive shooting. However, that's been the case for a very long time. When I was young - that was a very long time ago - most guys my age were what I called "blasters". They enjoyed shooting at cans much more than they enjoyed shooting at paper targets. Getting a hit on the can was about as accurate as they wanted to be. Only a few guys cared enough to actually get involved in competitive shooting and most of them got into combat pistol shooting. My introduction to competitive shooting was joining my unit's pistol team. I would like to see changes to courses of fire and equipment rules but I have no illusion that either will make a huge difference in the participation of younger shooters. My personal feeling is that some types of competition will naturally attract more entry level shooters than others but all have something to offer.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Maybe the limitations should be military sniper rifles with the appropriate optics from the VN era to present.
You know, Rick, the more I mull this over, the more I like it. I would add "or commercial equivalents"; and, probably allow AR style rifles chambered in 5.56 and 7.62. Maybe a weight limit too, so it would include rifles that Snipers could actually carry/drag in the field.

Howard
Old 08-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
You know, Rick, the more I mull this over, the more I like it. I would add "or commercial equivalents"; and, probably allow AR style rifles chambered in 5.56 and 7.62. Maybe a weight limit too, so it would include rifles that Snipers could actually carry/drag in the field.

Howard
Yep, the "commercial equivalent" statement makes perfect sense. Also, M110's, Mk 12 SPR's and similar AR type rifles should be added as you suggested. Rick
Old 08-04-2017, 11:57 AM

How about a Tika chambered in .260 Rem with a Nightforce scope?

Most of the younger shooters have commercial equivalent space guns and no place to shoot them, nor do they know how to shoot them. Modern matches like these can be a big win for all of us. This can also be a big opportunity for equipment manufacturers to get involved and promote their products for these matches, not just for the zombie apocalypse (LOL).
If guys show up with Palma rifles and wear space suits for the 5 extra points, so what. The point still remains, we are still shooting.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Most of the younger shooters have commercial equivalent space guns and no place to shoot them, nor do they know how to shoot them. Modern matches like these can be a big win for all of us. This can also be a big opportunity for equipment manufacturers to get involved and promote their products for these matches, not just for the zombie apocalypse (LOL).
If guys show up with Palma rifles and wear space suits for the 5 extra points, so what. The point still remains, we are still shooting.
I suppose there would be nothing to preclude an "unlimited" classification. With that, the shooters who prefer military equivalents would only be shooting against each other. Alternatively, those who prefer space-guns would likewise be shooting against others with similar equipment.

Howard
Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:

I tend to prefer a real sniper rifle match as opposed to a fantasy sniper rifle match but that's just me. I suppose an unlimited class as Howard suggested is a possible compromise but to be honest, I really don't expect to see many of the guys you are referring to attend any competition regardless of the rules or classes. I intend on showing up with my M24 with an issue Leupold Mk 4 scope - that's the real deal so no excuses or waivers are required. Rick
Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Pretty much the same here. I'll probably show up with the same 700P and Leupy scope I deployed with for 15 years.

Howard