Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2018, 04:35 PM

Default .30 Carbine Ammo From SOG, Anyone Purchase?

So I have seen a thread or two about this, but wondering if anyone has actually pulled the trigger on buying any of the cheap S&B 30 Carbine ammo from SOG (or the "new IMI"). I know with Southern Ohio Gun there is the usual shenanigans with a 3% CC fee, ammo form and no shipping estimate until after you order (unless you call in?) but for $12.45 (12.82 after CC fee) a box it seems like you could get hit pretty hard on shipping (like 30-40 a case) you would still get in for $.30/round.

I just paid $340 + $15 shipping for a case of PPU which I saw as the best price, but I'm starting to question why I didn't just back up the truck on this and take a chance...

http://www.southernohiogun.com/m1-30...bine-ammo.html

For $.06-.07 a round savings is it worth playing roulette and risking supporting this kind of business?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:45 PM

There was a SOG special someone posted here a couple weeks ago (Israeli surplus), I got 1k rds for $299 delivered. Delivery was $20 from there to SETX...

Russ
Old 03-19-2018, 09:46 AM

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I think there could be some relevance here. If the price per round is the same, which would be a better choice: PPU or the S&B? Or, for other brass-cased 110gr FMJ, is there a better option?
Edit: I see now how much cheaper the S&B is, vs. the PPU. I was comparing PPU to Aguila. I think the consensus there is that PPU is a better choice.

Last edited by mulestang; 03-19-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Update:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:51 AM

So I think the consensus is the PPU (better brass if you reload, might be slightly cleaner). I actually ended up ordering PPU before this (some soft point, some FMJ) and then stocked up no this S&B FMJ. I'll report back but thinking that both are pretty good options, and can be had around $.34/rd plus shipping (or through this I paid under $.28 a round shipped).

Seems like apart from the Monarch at academy and Herters at Cabelas (which I think are both S&B) these are the only 2 affordable range options unless you go steel cased, both of which seem like pretty great options for us to have at this price.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:49 AM

I picked up a bunch of the imi, $0.301 shipped to south tx
Old 03-19-2018, 03:35 PM

Default Soft Point Ammo Easier On Target Plates ...

There is also the ongoing safety concerns employing steel plates as reactive targets, either sight or sound. The soft point bullets just splat. The FMJ bullets tend at close range to be a ricochet hazard. Enough so that our fun time employees the soft point ammo. Safer.

Also the soft point ammo is legal to hunt the dinky white tailed deer here in SW Oregon. Always in season. Always with a hunting license and tags. For longer range paper target shooting the FMJ ammo is fine. No preference over PPU or S&B. Personal observations only.

Last edited by HB of CJ; 03-19-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: w/w s/p