Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up CMP Ammo and processing. A daunting task!

Just returned from spending several day's at the CMP South operations where I had the opportunity to see exactly what it takes to process the most recent shipment of Greek ammo.

Starting about 60 day's ago, the CMP started receiving the shipment of ammo from overseas via 3 major shipping ports in the USA.
Upon arrival the ammo is off loaded into a huge warehouse for inventory, inspection and processing for sale to the end users.

5 days a week the shipments arrive and are off loaded by a group of CMP contractors with multiple shipments of ammo being processed each day. The shipments arrive in large sea containers which are off loaded by forklifts and stacked inside the warehouse facility.

That's the easy part! Once the ammo is off loaded the sorting process begins. CMP staff must open adn inspect each crate and can of ammo to check the contents. Opened cans must be further checked for the actual contents.

The cans are checked for rust and damage. Suspect ammo or cans is set aside for future inspection. Each and every spam can is checked for rust and any other visible defects.
It should be noted that some crates are in great condition and others... well not so great. Based on exterior inspection.

It should be noted that not all of the ammo is Greek. There is crate upon crate of Lake City and Twin City ansenal produced rounds. The actual quanity is not known at this time.

There are cans with belted 30.06 rounds, AP and tracer rounds etc. One wooden crate observed was marked 303 Britt manufactured in South Africa. Well that was not what was in the crate. What was in the crate was .30 carbine red tip blanks in cardboard boxes.

Now we can see why each crate and can must be examined. Not that I would not mind getting the refrenced contents.

It is so easy for us to expect the ammo to be immediately availible for us to purchase, but just witnessing the huge amount of labor involved gave me a new appreciation for the staff at the CMP.

I can see now why it is taking some time to ready the ammo for sale.

My head is still spinning thinking about the good things being processed for us to purchase.

The CMP cost to ship increased, fuel cost and labor rate increases resulted in the price increases form the last round of Greek ammo.

Oh on a side note, the Garand bayo's are being inspected and graded as we speak. The Greeks just threw bayos into crates and closed the top. New bayo's, cut downs, 16", broken blades, missing parts were all in the same box.

<O</O

Last edited by MH53Gunner; 04-05-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the update!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:37 PM

What, no photos?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:42 PM

People don't realize the issues. Some people think it should all come ready to ship. It's F.M.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
What, no photos?

I shall post some pics for the masses to drool over. Just got back and lot's of stuff to catch up on.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Some people just don't have patience I guess.
Sounds like the CMP is continuing to do a great job!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Looking forward to seeing your pics! Sounds like they've got their work cut out for them.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 04-05-2010, 01:22 PM

What about limits? There should be limits; to protect those who need to wait until the last minute to place an order.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:28 PM

mh53gunner, Thanks for that outstanding report, it really puts things in perspective. <O</O
Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM

Tnx a ton for the post!