Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles > Mann Accuracy Device
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Default Mann Device Sled

Does anyone have a picture of the fixture a Mann Device rides in. I have a very heavy base with two fixtures for securing a tube. I bought it 10 years ago near Aberdeen Proving grounds from a gent who said it was a mann device base. I'll post pictures later
Old 11-14-2013, 04:34 PM

That would be something to see. All I have discovered is the old timie pictures of the V channel sled and the two donuts that clamp to the barrel. Not an actual fxture that the Mann rifles CMP sold would get mounted into.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:28 PM

If you go to the Springfield Armory web site they have a search page for the archives. Try searches for such terms as Mann, Mann rest, Machine rest, etc. they have some pictures. I have also seen photos in other old publications. Look for ones like Mann's book or books by Julian Hatcher and others.

Here is the Springfield search page:
http://ww3.rediscov.com/spring/spring.htm
Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM

Default Mann device sled

Interesting pictures of Mann devices. The distance between the bosses should tell the tail. Would anyone be willing measue the distances between their barrel bosses? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
If you go to the Springfield Armory web site they have a search page for the archives. Try searches for such terms as Mann, Mann rest, Machine rest, etc. they have some pictures. I have also seen photos in other old publications. Look for ones like Mann's book or books by Julian Hatcher and others.

Here is the Springfield search page:
http://ww3.rediscov.com/spring/spring.htm
Old 02-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdog View Post
Interesting pictures of Mann devices. The distance between the bosses should tell the tail. Would anyone be willing measue the distances between their barrel bosses? Thanks
I don't know what you are referring to as "bosses".
If these are the two "donut" shaped bearings used to support the barrel in the early days of field testing with a "V" block, it would not apply to the MANN Accuracy rifles sold by the CMP. The CMP MANN rifles were supported by the collar at the breech, or the breech end of the barrel, and the barrel floated freely.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Default Mann sled

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMFn542bob View Post
I don't know what you are referring to as "bosses".
If these are the two "donut" shaped bearings used to support the barrel in the early days of field testing with a "V" block, it would not apply to the MANN Accuracy rifles sold by the CMP. The CMP MANN rifles were supported by the collar at the breech, or the breech end of the barrel, and the barrel floated freely.
There are two clamps for the lack of a better word where the barrels could be mounted, the sled slides in a large "V' block with spring to either side. I need a general measurement between the collars on a barrel or two to see if it matches up. It all weighes an easy 150 lbs. The pictures of the various bases are very similar, but no pictures are up close.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Did someone slip me goofballs or are you guys talking about (2) separate mouting types? I've seen the V-Channel sled but not the Gibralter Mount and single clamp at the breech with free floating barrel which is what I want to see/know about.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaTheKid View Post
Did someone slip me goofballs or are you guys talking about (2) separate mouting types? I've seen the V-Channel sled but not the Gibralter Mount and single clamp at the breech with free floating barrel which is what I want to see/know about.
There exists a number of mounting arrangements. Various pictures show the mounts. I'll try to post a good picture of the mount I have. The measurements of the distance between the collars will give a good idea of if the mount was used for the Mann devices
Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
There exists a number of mounting arrangements. Various pictures show the mounts. I'll try to post a good picture of the mount I have. The measurements of the distance between the collars will give a good idea of if the mount was used for the Mann devices
Pictures would be great. I have never seen anything but pictures a "V" sled and donuts on the barrel.
I have two MANN rifles and the dimensions of the barrels can be found here:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=6338

Scroll down to post #8, about the 3rd photo in the collage gives the dimensions. My view of the changes in barrel diameters is to interrupt resonance. I believe these were retained in a machine solely by the collar at the receiver end.

This thread also shows the only two photos I have seen of a "machine" used to do MANN testing. Both clearly show two donuts on the barrel.

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 02-27-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have a picture of the fixture a Mann Device rides in. I have a very heavy base with two fixtures for securing a tube. I bought it 10 years ago near Aberdeen Proving grounds from a gent who said it was a mann device base. I'll post pictures later
I just did a Google search and found this post on gunboards.com
Might this be you also? Really need some photos.
-
10-25-2010, 06:02 PM #3
JMCJR
From my springfield 03 collecting days, I have a sled that is likely for a Mann device, weighs about 150 pounds and clamps an action to a sliding "sled" mounted on a base. Guy
I purchased it from lived about 30 miles from Aberdeen Proving Grounds.