Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2020, 01:11 PM

Default Making your short Sarco sling work better!

Hi All,

One guys thoughts! Let me say it's a nice sling, for carry & it is very easy to adjust! Maybe you have a better way?

I ordered a new 60 inch web strap for my Kerr sling. I think I need a 52 / 54 inch long section.
Sadly the Sarco Kerr sling is just a bit too short for me to use properly, on a Springfield.03 or 03 A3.
I tried many variations based on the Kerr directions on line.... There was just no way I could have set that sling like the direction's & pictures showed in real use other then a carry sling. The two doubled loops were just too short. I'm not a big guy 5'11" -180 lbs

Sarco's sling was just too tight for anything like tight but comfortable controlled set up for more serious shooting.
Even with the straps let out to the longest attachment points, it was a chore to get set up & stay in place, once I was locked in!
I'm going to try to save the original hollow rivets or I'll use pop rivets, till I find a more accurate replacement type on line.

Hope this helps,
broom
Old 04-23-2020, 09:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to bkleinhenz Send a message via MSN to bkleinhenz

If I am not mistaken Kerr made a Thompson sling that was shorter. Perhaps that is the sling you have.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:52 PM

Hi bkleinhenz,

Yes I know, there may have been three types originally.The Kerr directions on line mention a longer strap that could be added.
I'm sure the new webbing will make it work correctly.It's my fault not checking it out when I received it ! I'll take the heat for it!

I know that Sarco's advertisements are not always accurate.
Many people have had issues with various products. It's a nicely made sling & would work well for a smaller framed person or younger shooter.

Thanks for the reply & be safe out there,
broom
Old 04-24-2020, 09:30 AM

I prefer a sling which is fully adjustable for several reasons. First, the shooting position you take might require a different tightness than your previous position. Second, the type and amount of clothing you have on will require more or less sling. Third, if you use the sling to carry your rifle (or shotgun) it might need to clear a pack or other gear. And when stowing the weapon in a rack, you would want to tighten it up so as not to snag on other stuff.

If you use your rifle to instruct someone else, then they need to be able to adjust the sling to fit their size.

Of course, if you are going to use your rifle for doing the manual of arms, then you will want to make that sling nice and tight, but with some "rattle" for effect. Hoorah!
Old 04-24-2020, 09:51 AM

Hi navyrifleman,

Your 100% on the money!

Another post on this section of the board extolled the virtues of the 1923 canvas sling....
Said to be the BEST shooting sling, the military ever had.I should have mine this coming Monday.I have bought working firearms & ammo for less then the cost of this 1923 sling!
I think the Kerr sling will work well for me, but the 1923 sling might be
the ONE!
I read a bit about it & for some unreal reason, I'm hoping it will help correct my old age shakes!
I "NEEDED" one to help me shoot better??? LOL !

Be safe out there,
broom