Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2019, 08:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to ROC Send a message via MSN to ROC Send a message via Yahoo to ROC

Having been in the fire service for 20 plus, I know what he's referring to is smoke damage not fire/heat damage. It does look like it's been in a fire. Finally, I can comment on something I know about. And yes I do agree that it is just grime...but it does resemble smoke damage.

Last edited by ROC; 04-17-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Additional clarification.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:44 PM

I hope I look that good, when I'm 75+ years old!
Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
Having been in the fire service for 20 plus, I know what he's referring to is smoke damage not fire/heat damage. It does look like it's been in a fire. Finally, I can comment on something I know about. And yes I do agree that it is just grime...but it does resemble smoke damage.
Thanks for that. You knew what I was seeing. For some reason, I spent a lot of time in burned out buildings and factories when I was a kid. Back in the 60s, in a dying rust belt town, it seemed like the thing to do. LOL

But I saw a lot of items that had that look. The blackened wood from heat, and the multi-hued discolorations of the metal. I've seen a few Garands that look like this online and they look like they've been exposed to heat from a fire.

But the consensus is that it's grime from build-up over the years, and I'm going with that. I've not been steered wrong by the experts in this group so far. And I appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:28 PM

OP, Wipe the metal with Acetone on a cloth. It will clean up the receiver and other metal like the day it was made and will not affect the parkerization. Afterwards just wipe/brush on a thin coat of penetrating oil or gun oil and wipe off the excess. You will be amazed at the difference.

The stock is really nice as is, and appears to only need minimal care. Some Raw Linseed oil on a clean rag then buff will clean and protect. Wait about 48 hours between coats.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:46 PM

Anybody else remember 'Rack Grade'?

Eli