Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2020, 03:56 PM

Default 45-70 Trapdoor what to look for?

I would like to a trapdoor chambered in 45-70 with complete stock not cut down. what should i look for and what should i avoid?
Old 11-24-2020, 04:12 PM

Al Frasca has what you want . . . .

Honest values!

Trapdoorcollector.com
Old 11-24-2020, 05:17 PM

+1 for Al Frasca. His books are great and he's very good about responding to questions. I wouldn't hesitate buying from him at all.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:20 PM

thanks Jim, i have looked at his site. just slim stock
Old 11-24-2020, 07:23 PM

I sold a 1890 that was 95% all around regret selling it. Ck 1/2 cock, full cock, FP pushed down for protrusion of .090. ++ for Al.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:28 PM

I've got five of them, at least two bought from Al Frasca. Three rifles, a Cadet Rifle, and one Carbine. One of the rifles is a SRS hit. All available for sale.

Drop me a line for detailed info.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:00 AM

Default 45-70

Al was a BIG help in my acquiring a very nice, correct 1873 rifle. There was another well informed gentleman, who passed away several years ago. Think he was from Arizona. Upon his passing the family advertised his shop tools, etc.
I recall talking with him several weeks prior to his passing.
The rifle I acquired sat in a pawn shop for close to a year, before I decided to buy it. Bore bright/crisp. Shoots fine at 100yd. paper. Fired 20 shots, all were on paper ,6 in bull.
Imagine loading/firing one in battle !
Old 11-25-2020, 09:08 AM

I am not an expert on trap doors, but I do have two of them and had most of a third that I used for a barrel to bring the second one back to life. The biggest problem that I have seen in these rifles is a sewer pipe for a barrel. The one that had to be brought back to life was made in 1889 and it looked perfect in all ways until I looked down the barrel and saw a mess of rust, leading and pitting. However, the price on the 1889 was too good to pass up. Other than what Howard Huge suggested to check and contacting Al Frasca if you have questions or need parts, it is not a complicated firearm. Just do a good inspection before buying and I am sure you will find one out there for a decent price. Springfield Sporters also had parts, but I have not checked their website in quite some time. If you decide to load the ammunition yourself make sure you use trapdoor loading tables. It is one of the easier rounds to do if you can find the components in the current situation. If you don't reload, make sure you get trap door safe loads.