Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2019, 07:25 PM

Default M2 ???

Would any one have some info date or ser. #'s . Was some of the M1's converted to select fire with the T17 kit before the M2 stamp receivers. Can't seen to find any info on it.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:35 PM

M2 stamped receivers came first. In fact I don't think any kits were made during the war for issue to the troops.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsdora View Post
Was some of the M1's converted to select fire with the T17 kit before the M2 stamp receivers. Can't seen to find any info on it.
Larry Ruth really muddies the waters in his description of M2 development on p. 240-44 of WB! It appears from your first question that you haven't read that section as he also lists earliest known M2 serial numbers (as known to him, since superseded). Until you read up on that, there's no need to delve further into additional confusion created by field forces reporting using imprecise nomenclature.

When you read Ruth, figure out whether he meant to say there were two batches of 500 T4 Carbines, the earliest being converted M1s; the latest being 500 stamped T4s - or - if there were only 500 T4s total. When you get that figured out, then you need to decide whether or not the T17 kit was composed of physically identical parts as used in the M2 when standardized.

In WBIII, Ruth corrects his captions to photos on p. 243 to read 'T4' instead of 'M2(T4)' and on p. 243 to read 'M2' instead of 'M2(T4)'.

If your question is on use of T17 nomenclature, we don't know how - or if - the conversion kits were stamped as none appear to still exist. If Ruth located a copy of the kit installation instructions (where kit markings may appear), he makes no mention of it.

Confused yet?
Old 12-15-2019, 02:24 PM

Just found in the national interest.org. If I got this right They said in late 44 they also sent out T17 kits to soldiers to convert M1's to M2's . By this I would say some M1's were converted to select fire. Yes it is very confusing.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:47 PM

I would like to know where and when those kits were shipped. The first known use of M2 carbines was on Okinawa and in the Philippines. None were used in Germany before the surrender. National Intrest.org is far from the best site for information on carbines.

Last edited by Tuna 1; 12-15-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsdora View Post
Just found in the national interest.org. If I got this right They said in late 44 they also sent out T17 kits to soldiers to convert M1's to M2's . By this I would say some M1's were converted to select fire. Yes it is very confusing.
Your initial question was specific to M2 stamped carbines and M17 kits. Do you intend to now broaden the question? Is your question about:

1) the use of a separately packaged and labeled parts grouping designated T17.

2) the use of any authorized modification to select fire.

Please clarify.

I've still seen no evidence to clear up the Ruth muddle over the auto carbines he describes as being in "...response to urgent requirements from the Pacific Theater, some of these early T4s were sent directly into combat." What does 'early T4s' mean here? Were they composed of the carbine parts grouping pictured on p. 242 or the group with additional parts revisions on p. 243? Were these carbines modified with the identical group of parts as found in a T17 kit? Unfortunately, Ruth's WBIII corrections/additions contain nothing to clarify.

Was a carbine that Ruth refers to as M2(T4) composed of the identical parts grouping designated T17?

Does that same M2(T4) carbine drop the 'T4' and become an M2 after the M2 is adopted (not talking about receiver stamping, but, rather, in records)?

So, it boils down to the difference between physical configuration and nomenclature. If the designations are used interchangeably and without clearly indicating which category is meant, they contribute to the confusion.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:54 PM

Anyone have or seen a photo of M2 being used in combat...anywhere ?
Old 12-19-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Anyone have or seen a photo of M2 being used in combat...anywhere ?
Yeah . . . I have . . . .

News film taken during Korean War, showing a GI on “top of a mountain” launching bullets full-auto, towards another mountain top!

After emptying a magazine, he turns his face toward the camera, and gives us a big grin!

I doubt it was truly a “combat situation” . . . .merely a stunt for the camera.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Yeah . . . I have . . . .

News film taken during Korean War, showing a GI on “top of a mountain” launching bullets full-auto, towards another mountain top!

After emptying a magazine, he turns his face toward the camera, and gives us a big grin!

I doubt it was truly a “combat situation” . . . .merely a stunt for the camera.
I have seen that same footage. It is a mag dump from a 30 round magazine. It was probably on Military History channel. That is the only one I have ever seen.