Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitpusmc View Post
Yes itís a ďyour mileage may varyĒ deal for sure. I just found them to be really loyal to be so I returned the favor. So many companies have horrible customer service these days.

Iíve lost track of who the OP is but my question is if the shell plate is tightened down enough to the shellplate platform? If thatís to high the cases can wobble a bit side to side.

Whit
JeffinPTC. A dial indicator mounted via magnetic post, making a sweep around can tell if that are even mild out of spec. .22 Hornet is one of the most sensitive cartridges to reload and any wobble will result in disaster. .30 Carbine is also a pain to reload.

Even if it "seems" stable, Whit's advice is vital to the safety, productivity, and economics of reloading. Check for any wobble, or runout.

If a last word picks up on wobble, visible wobble is observed, some more work is to be done.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitpusmc View Post
Iím sorry to hear that. Iíve been using Dillon machines since the 1990s and I have found their customer service to be the best in the business.

On three occasions Iíve called them needing spare parts after breaking something. The first two they refused to allow me to pay for the items despite my clearly explaining to them that the items broke because I screwed up.

I paid for the item the third time because I told them I lost it. I donít mind free but I believe you should pay for stuff you break.

They were also willing to help me run down several reloading glitches caused by my learning curve.

I have Lee and RCBS equipment and have no issues with any of it but I mostly buy Dillion because of the way they stand behind their products.
I told them I lost one or two locating buttons, and they only allowed me to pay shipping.

If anyone has trouble with ANYTHING with the Dillon name on it, CALL DILLON.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:06 AM

I have loaded 30 carbine on a 550B with RCBS dies and have had no problems crushing cases, that I can recall. I did have some leakage with H110. I shimmed the powder bar using duct tape. Not the generic "duck tape" every one has, true duct tape. It is silver/aluminum foil like in appearance. It reduced the leakage, but doesn't completely stop it. H110 is pretty fine.

What brass are you using? Maybe the rims are out of spec, which allows them to tilt, or maybe the brass is kind of soft so the rims are slightly bent from extraction, causing them to tilt.

Alternatively, perhaps your shellplate is out of spec and it allows the brass to tilt. How stable is your reloading bench?
Old 12-08-2019, 07:54 AM

This link is a pretty good 30 Carbine read http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...Notes_2007.pdf
Vic
Old 12-08-2019, 08:12 AM

Thx for all the help

Hadn't thought about the rims...
Brass is range pu I bought from Everglades Ammo, mostly Hornady.

Bench is homemade 4x4 legs, 2x6 frame, 3/4 top.

Thx for the link the the CMP doc. I hadn't read in a while.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Download the UniqueTek catalog. Spending more money is probably not foremost in your mind, but they have several items that may prove helpful. First, look at the rifle powder funnel for the Dillon (#T1632-**30). I would call to be sure it will reach the 30 Carbine's short case before buying it. If not, you would need their pistol style, and unfortunately, I don't see that available. If it does work, what it will do is put a Lyman M style expanded profile on your case mouths. That profile includes a short step below the flare that allows you to set the bullet in straight up and keeps it there while it seats. Starting the bullets in straight like that not only gets you around having your fingers follow the bullet to the die, it prevents them from seating crookedly, causing the uneven bulges over the bottom edge of the bullet in the case. This improves accuracy by eliminated most cartridge runout in the finished rounds, though whether you can tell the difference or not depends on how accurate your carbine is to start with.

There is also a shell plate bearing kit to reduce wobble and indent snap that can throw powder up and over the edge of a case. There is also a more expensive ballbearing system with special recessed indexing sprocket.

There is also an additional baffle for the powder measure to try to increase consistency. If you consider that, this design may be of interest to you, too. In theory, the latter one would regulate powder head pressure in the measure better, but I don't have one, so I can't say for sure.

Another attack for powder is something like this replacement powder bar .

Anyway, you get a general idea. There are others who've noticed the issues you are having and are selling aftermarket solutions for them. How good they all are is hard to say. I have a lathe, so I've made my own version of the drop tube and confirmed it is a good idea. I am thinking of getting UniqueTek's ball bearing sprocket to try, but haven't yet.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old 12-08-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Download [URL="http://www.uniquetek.com/store/696296/uploaded/UniqueTek_Product_Catalog.pdf"].
Great Catalog. I'll take a look later
Jeff
Old 01-09-2020, 10:29 AM

Default UniqueTek Bueno

Update on Nick's rec:

I bought the UniqueTek powder funnel and the 2 bearing kits he recommended. The powder funnel FIXED my problems at S2. I installed the cheaper kit with the nylon ball and washers and it was a great improvement, but the $45 needle bearing kit, as Nick said in a PM, allows you to tighten the spindle to smooth out the movement even more.
I also bought the Bin Dam and pulled bullet separator. All good stuff.
And only $150!
I wonder why Dillon doesn't make the 30 Carbine funnel like this one?
Of course, my son rarely buys anything firearm or auto that he doesn't start upgrading immediately.
Jeff
Old 01-09-2020, 10:59 AM

I know I am late to the party but I did have this very problem with both 30C and 300Blkout cases on a 650. My issue was stacking dimension tolerance issues. The biggest tolerance issue was my press was not perfectly level. This allowed cases to lean which becomes a problem on taller cases. They'd lean just enough to catch on the mouth of a die or powder funnel. They were allowed to lean because the shell plates had a good amount of play when holding them at the rim. Luckily leveling the press was enough to solve the issue.