Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2018, 11:44 AM

Tons of great advice in this thread!

I started shooting Garand matches in 2015 and my offhand scores went from 70s to 80s pretty quickly. I fired around 1000 rounds through the Garand in practice that year in addition to dry firing. By the end of 2015, I was hitting low 90s offhand.

Three years later, I'm more focused on the AR and working on my last 8 leg points. I have had some periods where I practiced a ton and it paid off and other times that I didn't practice and it showed. As my offhand has improved, my slow prone has suffered. I earned my first 8 point leg with an 88 offhand and excellent performance the rest of the match. My last leg match I shot 97 on my feet, but my prone performance cost me leg points due to 3 bad shots at the end of the string. My average offhand is 95+ and a week ago I had a personal best of 99-3 at a local walk and paste 200yd match. Offhand is my favorite stage. Where most shooters plan to recover in the later stages, I try not waste my good offhand by dropping points elsewhere.

The key for me was practicing until 10s and Xs were fired subconsciously. When I am shooting offhand, the more clear my mind is, the better. If the rifle "fired itself" it will be a ten or an X. If I consciously fire the rifle, it will be a 9...maybe an 8.

Now to go practice some prone before my last leg match of the year next week.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 PM

I found the most commonly used off hand positions are very unstable. That is, support arm rest against your side.

I broke into the mid 90s (without a jacket too) after I modified my position to rest my elbow against my hip while grasping the bottom of the magazine. My wobble is mostly within the black.

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk