X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kilroywashere
    • Jul 2010

Opening a spam can from the bottom

What is the trick? I seem to remember a sticky that outlined the procedure. I just used an old can opener from the kitchen and broke it.
    ___
    /iiiiiiiiiiiii\
    (\OiiiiiO/)
    --UUU---(iii)---UUU--
  • CharlieEcho
    • Oct 2009

Bottoms up;

There was a way to use a grinder to go around the bottom edge until the seam was opened. Then the bottom will just fall off, or out. You could use a file also if you aren't in a hurry or too busy. Sharp edges so be careful.

Comment

• ceresco
      • Oct 2009

How to open the spam can--and end up with something you can use: Use a regular can opener. Put a small amount of gease on top where the cutter runs. Cut 2.75 inches of the sides and the end with the seam. Cutting is a bit difficult and you will need to go over it some. Break any remaining areas with a screwdriver and bend the cut end up. Now hook the first box or bandolier and pull it out. Have fun moving the remaining boxes around and extractng them. Finally bend the cut end down into the can and use it for the fired cases. Good Shooting......

Comment

• Gunner2010
        • May 2010

I use a can opener from the Russian 7.62x54r spam cans.

Comment

• Kirk in AL
          • Oct 2009

Screw driver & hammer is all you need. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQVka5lRbQ

Comment

Working...
          X