Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2020, 06:27 PM
heckinohio heckinohio is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 2,176
Default Never too old (or experienced) to learn....

In Feb. of '019, I bought a NFR Garand from 'Carolina. CMP WTS:. It arrived OK, I checked the components, put a bit of grease here & there, patched the barrel, wiped it down in general. Not a shooter for me as I have some for that. I laid it on the floor with several others during a display "adjustment". I have to feed every second day; several days back was nice weather, so I will take a Garand & some machine gun out to shoot. Picked up this particular Garand, really an error....didnt notice it until I got it out onto the shooting table...Oh well, it will work just as good as any other. Clip/rounds in, bolt closed......ready.......aim......click......?????? ? Cycled that round out.....what, no firing pin mark.???? Lets try again........same routine. I looked at the bolt face, no firing pin,.......its not just broke, it aint there....none of it.?????!!!! I notified the seller....no response.....really too late to complain, I should have noticed it much sooner.

So........take a lesson........I guess. Make sure all the parts are in the rifle you are dealing for......preferably before you actually take possession.

PJH

Last edited by heckinohio; 01-12-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2020, 07:51 PM
Nodak71 Nodak71 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,290
Default

Lots of shysters out there selling for sure. My experience years back was with a carbine off Auction Arms. Price was decent and looked ok but when I got it I found same thing, missing parts. Not the firing pin but various pins and a screw. Contacted the seller, nothing of course. He had taken the pictures so the missing stuff didn't show. Not a major deal but it can happen.
__________________
NRA Life Member
GCA
CMP Customer Since 98

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Det. Jason 714 Det. Jason 714 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 6,694
Default

I only deal with members on this forum. By and large great people with fair priced items. As an added bonus you can trade parts for parts.
__________________
"Let Freedom PING!"
Over 70 plus Positive feedbacks before removal of Itrader.
RIP Itrader 2/24/14 you are not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Shomway Shomway is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,378
Send a message via AIM to Shomway
Default

I know hindsight is 20/20, but whenever I pick up a new rifle(Garand) whether from CMP or private sale, when I break them down for cleaning/lube/inspection, disassembly of the bolt is part of that process. I think having the neat bolt disassembly/assembly tool makes this less of a nightmare and fairly simple. Well worth the $50....
__________________
31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:01 PM
Ronwall Ronwall is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ky
Posts: 1,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
I know hindsight is 20/20, but whenever I pick up a new rifle(Garand) whether from CMP or private sale, when I break them down for cleaning/lube/inspection, disassembly of the bolt is part of that process. I think having the neat bolt disassembly/assembly tool makes this less of a nightmare and fairly simple. Well worth the $50....
^^ ^^ By doing what Shomway suggests I've found broken and out of spec op rod springs, op rods that had worn out tabs, modified safeties, frozen followers, incorrectly headspaced bolts and bolts that had so much crap inside of them that I have no idea how they would have worked correctly and that to say nothing about all the rust, dirt, grease and grime that I've cleaned out of Garands. Shomway is also right about the bolt disassembly/assembly tool. It's well worth the $50 as it takes about 15 seconds to disassemble or assemble a bolt with one and no springs flying across room.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2020, 07:29 PM
mnhusker mnhusker is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
^^ ^^ By doing what Shomway suggests I've found broken and out of spec op rod springs, op rods that had worn out tabs, modified safeties, frozen followers, incorrectly headspaced bolts and bolts that had so much crap inside of them that I have no idea how they would have worked correctly and that to say nothing about all the rust, dirt, grease and grime that I've cleaned out of Garands. Shomway is also right about the bolt disassembly/assembly tool. It's well worth the $50 as it takes about 15 seconds to disassemble or assemble a bolt with one and no springs flying across room.
My record, before I bought the bolt tool, was Pinging the spring off two walls and the ceiling, with the spring lost forever in the carpet!

All the best.

John
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2020, 07:50 PM
Ronwall Ronwall is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ky
Posts: 1,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhusker View Post
My record, before I bought the bolt tool, was Pinging the spring off two walls and the ceiling, with the spring lost forever in the carpet!

All the best.

John
Until I wised up and started using a trigger clamp to reassemble trigger groups I had the same thing happening with hammer springs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2020, 09:43 AM
JimF JimF is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
Until I wised up and started using a trigger clamp to reassemble trigger groups I had the same thing happening with hammer springs.
Yeah, me too . . . .

I now disassemble such things INSIDE a LARGE clear plastic bag!
__________________
--Jim
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2020, 01:20 PM
jeremy69 jeremy69 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,992
Default

I donít know why anyone would intentionally try to cheat on an M1 firing pin, they are cheap and plentiful.

Make sure nothing else is wrong as to why itís missing. My immediate worst concern is a welded receiver and it was left out so the bolt would close due to a safety bridge hold up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2020, 01:39 PM
S99VG S99VG is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy69 View Post
I donít know why anyone would intentionally try to cheat on an M1 firing pin, they are cheap and plentiful.

Make sure nothing else is wrong as to why itís missing. My immediate worst concern is a welded receiver and it was left out so the bolt would close due to a safety bridge hold up.
My thoughts too. Contact the seller and tell him the bolt was missing the firing pin. Maybe he'll send you one, but if not just get a new one and don't look back. I don't see this as a serious issue. A serious issue to me would be something like a bent op rod, shot out barrel or something like as mentioned in the above quote that wasn't disclosed in the sale. But seriously, give it a new firing pin and give it no further thought.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.