Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2020, 08:09 PM

Default 1903 top split ring question.

I recently purchased an 1903 Springfield that was very nicely converted a long time ago, to a "sporter".

It appears to have a Herters type walnut stock black ebony tip. The barrel is marked C. E. Bryant 270 WCF. I assume he is the one who built the rifle or at least manufactured the barrel.

Up top, it has a factory marked redfield one piece base (not redfield jr) and rings that only have screws on the top of the rings. The front ring has 2 screws. The bottom turns in to the base. The rear ring has one screw on top. It attaches to the base by two large set screws at the bottom.

The scope is a blued steel Weaver K4, with no letters afterword, and Patented El Paso Tex USA. The reticle is fine crosshairs with a center dot.

After doing some research, it appears to be a sniper type mount system as used on the1903a4.

My question is how did they get the rings on the scope? They rings only have screws on top. The bell of the scope is to large to just slip them over. Is it possible that the scope was disassembled, rings put on, and then reassembled?
Old 01-07-2020, 08:55 PM

Yeah they would have had to tear apart the scope to assemble it.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 PM

When that style of ring was in common use most of the popular scopes had a straight tube so the front ring would just slide over the end of the tube and the rear ocular is easily removed to install the rear ring. It would be quite a job to install those rings on a K4 with a front bell. You need to remove the turret assemblies, which attach to the tube with two screws each, plus remove the threaded rear ocular.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I have never worked with this set up before. I am going to pursue some other mounting options. The old weaver is not as clear as I imagine it once was......