Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2020, 09:20 PM

Default Rear sight removal??

Okay after spending the last 6 or 7 years working on M1s I want to try an M1917, 1903 and 1903a3. Anyway got a great deal on an Eddystone M1917. Its marked all Eddystone and the stock does not have a rebuild mark on her. I doubt this was used much as there is still cosmo and gunk in the receiver. The stock needs to be cleaned up big time and I hope I can get the bore somewhat shiny as well. Anyway I have this whole thing stripped and ready to clean the internals first. I just spent an hour battling with the #$%@ safety and finally got it off (the locking needle nose pliers helped). My question is what is the secret to getting the rear sight off? I see the obvious screw at the bottom but its like its stripped where it just turns and turns. I see how to remove the spring below it and the screw holding that in but how in the world do you remove the rear sights? I tried searching but didn't find an exact answer.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:44 PM

The rear sight is held in place by the rear sight screw and a spanner nut on the right side of the sight ears. The sight does not need to be removed unless damaged. The spanner nut is usually lightly staked. The screw you mentioned holds the sight spring in place and does not need to be removed unless the spring is broken. In cleaning M1917s it is best not to reach for your screwdrivers as they were not designed to be completely to be disassembled except by Ordnance personnel.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the info. Again I am new to these. The rest other than the safety was pretty straight forward. I see these sights being sold all the time here so I assumed it was something I was doing wrong.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:11 PM

Also the screw just turns as if stripped and the nut does not move. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this. Yes the nut is like a spanner nut but needs a special tool to remove. I don't get why the screw moves freely in either direction and the nut does not move at all.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yettileg View Post
On the rear sight, from what I remember there is no pin. the sight was staked in place. Something on the order of 2000lbs or something like that. my carbine came from korea (blue sky) with huge divots on either side of the sight. Be careful when driving the sight out. The staking can weaken the dovetail and break out when attempting to drive the sight out.
He is asking about a M1917, not a M1 carbine.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHScott View Post
He is asking about a M1917, not a M1 carbine.
He is copying and pasting from other Forums.....seen this before!
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...52#post2076652