Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 06:52 AM

Default The Hatcher hole should probably be called the Borden Hole

Thinking about this and seeing all the ordnance docs from the Archives, one thing that sort of bugs me is at some point in time, Hatcher received credit for the additional gas escape hole on the M1903 receivers. This simply isn't true.

I always hate to see people receive credit for something they had no part in, so I think from now on I'm going to call the "Hatcher Hole" the Borden Hole.

It seems fitting to give credit to LtCol Borden who actually did the testing to get the hole approved.

There were tests done similar in 1930 by a A.L. Woodworth, but the modification did not start into production.

Here is the case study that had the hole approved. It is sumbitted by LtCol Borden and approved by Col Smith.

But it seems most fitting of this in my opinion that Borden should receive the honor of his name being attached to that modification.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:55 AM

Last edited by cplnorton; 01-12-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:37 AM

Just wondering, if Borden did the study and submitted it for approval, how did it become "Hatcher"
Old 01-12-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
Just wondering, if Borden did the study and submitted it for approval, how did it become "Hatcher"
I would imagine some author gave him credit for it at one point incorrectly and it's just been repeated over and over for a long time.

Researching in the Archives I have found a lot of things quoted in books and online that are not correct.

Many times authors just take info from other books and restate it again in their books, without doing actual research to make sure what they are quoting is correct.