Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2020, 01:39 PM

Default 1909 1903 sa

Saw a 12-09(barrel date) SA 1903 at the local gun show sunday. It showed it's age and the elevation slide was missing from the rear sight. Stock was stamped RLB if I recall correctly and was in nice shape. The stock also had a rebuild stamp RAB? I can't recall. Perhaps someone can mention rebuild stamps of that era but I thought it might have been rebuilt at remington? Has a remington bolt or at least part of it was. Saw a couple R marks on some of the bolt parts.

The barrel was 2 grove and pitted but the rifling was prominent. Gauged 1-2.
Would this rifle be a good investment, and if so what might be a decent price? Yes I know pics would help but don't have any. If the rifle is at the next show I just want to educate myself a bit before possibly making an offer. The price tag was $400 on it.

Any advice is appreciated...
Old 01-13-2020, 02:16 PM

The rebuild stamp would be RA-P for Raritan Arsena.
If the barrel is date 12-09 than it has to be a 4 groove barrel.

The rear sight can be replace easily enough.

Do you remember the serial number or range?
Old 01-13-2020, 03:43 PM

If an RLB stamp the stock originated with a Remington M1903. Did it have grasping grooves?
Old 01-13-2020, 04:03 PM

Stock appeared to be an unboxed R L B with no grasping grooves. Rebuild mark was a small RA-P. Low number SA receiver in the high 300K range. A3 trigger guard and bands as well.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:50 PM

Definitely a later Remington M1903 - if in decent condition, the stock could be sold or traded for a decent amount.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:51 PM

Saw same one, pretty rough lo number. A mix of 03 and a3 parts. If I recall 500K ser. number bore crusty in appearance.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Mag View Post
Saw a 12-09(barrel date) SA 1903 at the local gun show sunday. It showed it's age and the elevation slide was missing from the rear sight. Stock was stamped RLB if I recall correctly and was in nice shape. The stock also had a rebuild stamp RAB? I can't recall. Perhaps someone can mention rebuild stamps of that era but I thought it might have been rebuilt at remington? Has a remington bolt or at least part of it was. Saw a couple R marks on some of the bolt parts.

The barrel was 2 grove and pitted but the rifling was prominent. Gauged 1-2.
Would this rifle be a good investment, and if so what might be a decent price? Yes I know pics would help but don't have any. If the rifle is at the next show I just want to educate myself a bit before possibly making an offer. The price tag was $400 on it.

Any advice is appreciated...
Seasons' Greetings!

The rifle would be a decent investment only if you badly-needed some of the parts off it. The seller apparently realizes what he has and has priced the rifle at the upper end of its value. If you seek a shooter, definitely keep looking.

Happy New Year!

J.B.