Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Reference: (3) The Bavarians and Austrians obviously liked the US Carbine being used by their police forces, as I have never seen one that was beat up while in their care. This unlike returns from S. American nations and from Korea.

I think more of a cultural thing. Most of the Germanic Europeans take care of everything. I lived there for 9 years and the neighbors would talk about those that didn't "scrub" their front porch steps! You had to be mindful to be tidy and "follow the rules"! Awesome place to live
Old 01-17-2018, 06:15 PM

Maybe is as simple as the Germans didn't like a peep site because they were used to the V site.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 AM

Move the sights closer together, and you'll have a less accurate shooter...

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on 09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 AM

IMO opinion based on hunting experience and from what I have read, the reason to carry a carbine is the same reason for carrying a hand gun. That is, relatively close range, rapid fire, on the defensive. The carbine should come up quick and the shooter should be able to rapidly acquire the target and bring the target under fire. Given those points, the V sight would serve better.

I began hunting in the mid 1950s. When walking, looking for deer, if iron sights are used, the V rear sight is the most effective. If using a scope, the lowest setting on the scope should be used. This so one can acquire a deer that jumps up in front of the hunter very quickly. The small aperture on a carbine peep sight would slow one down a tad.

I know, I know! Deer do not shoot back! However, the need to quickly acquire the target is the same and especially in poor light, the peep sight is lacking on the carbine.

Just my humble opinion.

Steven L. Ashe
Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 PM

The big secret is that most soldiers don't even use the sights inside of say 75 yds. At night forget it. The number of hits drops to near zero at night.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysclockgun View Post
The reasons that I really like the so called Bavarian Carbines:

(1) They likely did see action in Europe at the end of WWII and were left over there with occupation troops, so not "upgraded" with later parts.

(3) The Bavarians and Austrians obviously liked the US Carbine being used by their police forces, as I have never seen one that was beat up while in their care. This unlike returns from S. American nations and from Korea.

Steven

Bavarians are favorites of mine for the same reasons, especially the probability that many, if not most, were left behind by US soldiers departing for home after the war.
I had read somewhere that some of those left behind were battle damaged. This could be true in the case of my Underwood, which has a small chunk of non-ferrous metal embedded in the butt as well as several smaller ones that make me think that a bullet may have hit some metal in close proximity to the carbine, causing a "spray" effect. They were finished over in place as if sanded with the stock.

Member since 2005

Old 01-27-2018, 11:57 AM

I love my Bavarian spring tube Winchester.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:27 AM

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I thought it would be better to resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

Quick question, how desirable are the Bavarian carbines, specifically a carbine that was originally purchased from the CMP?
Old 04-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Mine are quite desirable to me.
One of mine has the silver solder remaining on top of the chamber where the
Bavarian sight was mounted. Looks pretty funky.
RVN 67-68
Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM

Not sure if there is any added value regarding Bavarian carbines, to MOST buyers. Having said that, I bought mine off the CMP auction site years ago, where it had 57 bids; it did not come cheap, so someone other than myself thought the gun came at a premium. I would highly recommend every carbine owner read the great history about the Bavarian carbines on the web-site, and make the decision for yourself, if their unique history adds value. The fact that the carbines were probably in Europe at the end of WWII is pretty cool, but again, I doubt it adds value to most shooters. However, I just had mine (Underwood - Bavarian Municipal Police) out this morning shooting it, and like any other carbine, it is so much fun to shoot. I would not sell the one I own because I do appreciate the unique history.