Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2020, 05:53 PM

I just use the paper clip test on them. Actually, I use a bent dental pick.
None have been rejects after the first resizing, most end up being good for 3 to 5 reloads before I feel the forming crack/thinning line.
I did have a whole lot of 250 LC 2008 I stopped using immediately as I got 5 cracks like Shomway's left example on my first loading. Vendor made good and no harm to the rifle. Matter of fact, I didn't notice until I'd fired off about 10 rounds and policed my brass.
Of thousands, that's not bad.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:16 PM

Thanks again for the responses.
I appreciate your time and expertise.
EO
Old 08-14-2020, 08:23 AM

Re: Lake City 308 brass ..suspect MG fired. Be it shooting in my M1A or in my 308 long range rifle, case life of my hand loads...all annealed brass full length sized will be 3 firings and if I push to 4th firing...I start to find a significant number of cases with very loose primer pockets. As a general rule, I toss this brass at end of 3rd reloading but when I push cases that remain with tight primer pockets to 5th reloading...case separation issues begin to appear...the dreaded ring around case heads or worse, a case separation.

End of 3rd reload: I toss brass in scrap bin. Its not worth using it further but if you are shooting a bolt rifle and are neck sizing as much as possible, I am sure you can limp that brass to 6 firings. I just never saw any accuracy improvements with neck sized brass in my long range rifle but I just bought a bushing neck size die so perhaps I can load LC 308 beyond 3 firings if....IF...primer pockets remain tight.

End sum: Got no issue with 308 LC brass that is surplus for general use. I don't use it for 1000 yd precision shooting but out to 600 yds, oh heck yeah !
Old 08-14-2020, 01:03 PM

I am tempted to say that I don't understand why those cases don't last longer, but I do know why. Two reasons: loads are hot and brass is being resized excessively. I use mostly med intensity loads and minimal FL resizing. My 308 cases last through many reloading cycles. Good Shooting. ...
Old 08-15-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I am tempted to say that I don't understand why those cases don't last longer, but I do know why. Two reasons: loads are hot and brass is being resized excessively. I use mostly med intensity loads and minimal FL resizing. My 308 cases last through many reloading cycles. Good Shooting. ...
Yes Sir...you are most correct. I do 1000 yd shooting and FPS is a critical factor for bullets in making that trip accurately

I have dies adjusted to FL size as minimum as possible though...but FL sizing is always going to shorten life of brass cases.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:40 PM

I have loaded and fired a lot of machine gun fired 7.62 brass. No problems. And I sized with normal dies, not small based.

I KNOW it was machine gun fired, as it was picked up off a air to ground gunnery range, so had all be fired from miniguns.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:14 PM

Default Should should indicate source?

Likely MG fired brass if shoulder ~.010 to .020 blown out from a sized case of same, as I recall? Just takes a bit more to bring em back to size. Some folks don't like MG brass for there high precision F-class type loading, but seem to work fine for service rifle loads (M1A, 308 Garands, bolt guns, etc.).
Old 09-06-2020, 09:18 PM

If its once fired, military brass, it probably came out of a MG. Full size it. Process as usual then just bump the shoulder on the next loading. My good friend uses this surplus MG brass and has been successful in making accurate rounds with it