Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Lightbulb

About 10% of all once shot HXP I reloaded before unitizing had higher than acceptable, to me, primers. Even after either wet tumbling or pocket cleaning the unitizer would cut some. Running it in my drill it takes about 3 seconds per case. Even I can handle that extra step.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:49 PM

"uniformer" I have primed many thousands of HXP 30-06 cases using the old Lee hand "Auto-prime" tool, never used a primer pocket uniformer, rarely clean primer pockets and never have high primers. Lap, there is just something about that state... Good Shooting. ...
Old 04-18-2019, 11:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
"uniformer" I have primed many thousands of HXP 30-06 cases using the old Lee hand "Auto-prime" tool, never used a primer pocket uniformer, rarely clean primer pockets and never have high primers. Lap, there is just something about that state... Good Shooting. ...
Ah yes, uniformer. Yeah, everthing's high in CA since they legalized Pot and elected Gavin Newsom Governor LOL.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:49 AM

Thumbs up

I use stainless steel case cleaning as well and have found that the primers on
both HXP and commercial cases (Win/Rem) seem to be just a wee bit proud.

I am presently using Sellier& Bellot primers. (Zapalky)

So far in a Garand there have been no problems or slam-fires.
I fired a couple of hundred rounds at The Big Sandy Shoot.

AZB
Old 04-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Good reloading practice to remove military primer crimps. Even though HMX uses a stake crimp, it's best to remove it. I have been using a plain old counter sink to remove primer crimps for over 30 years. I doesn't take more the 1 or 2 seconds, very difficult to "over do", and only needs to be done once. My Lee size/decap dies have no trouble poking out spent primers whether it be commercial, HXP or LC.

I have been reloading rifle cartridges for well over 30 years and have found no benefit in cleaning primer pockets. Never had any primer seating problems, no FTF, no extra large velocity variations. Many like wet tumbling to get pristine primer pockets and case interiors, but in my experience, not at all necessary...
Old 04-23-2019, 11:08 PM

Watch for donuts in the neck/shoulder junction. Might be fine with 150gr class bullets, but caused some difficulty going into battery with 168gr.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara