Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2019, 04:04 PM

Got mine today and I'm tickled with what I received. There's no creosote, no cosmo or any other preservative on any of the three. Clean the dirt off then add a coat or two of BLO then they should be good to go.

Top stock in the second & third pics is a SA DAS stock with strong stamps and a 499 rack number painted on the butt, no other markings.
The middle stock in the second and third pics is a rebuild stock with a sans-serif P stamped on front of pistol grip, no other markings.
The bottom stock in the second and third pics is a Anniston rebuild stock stamped with A4 with a sans‐serif P on the front of pistol grip.
I'm pleased with the metal as well.

Last edited by Ronwall; 05-22-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Thanks!!! Not a common post war rebuild cartouche....nice score
I might be wrong (wishful thinking), but isn't this stock ("SA" over "SPG", ordinance wheel on heel of grip, large hole plugged, and crude inletting for butt-plate) a very early production (gas trap) stock that has gone through rebuild?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
I might be wrong (wishful thinking), but isn't this stock ("SA" over "SPG", ordinance wheel on heel of grip, large hole plugged, and crude inletting for butt-plate) a very early production (gas trap) stock that has gone through rebuild?
Since the small ordinance wheel on the grip came later on EMcF and GAW, NFR stocks, your stock appears to be one these that had gone through a rebuild, post war, hence the SPG cartouche.
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=60417
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=96777

Last edited by Shomway; 05-23-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:04 AM

I received my 2 on Tuesday. Very little preservative of any sort on either. Here are some pics after a quick cleaning. No cartouches anywhere and on one there is a very deep rack number stamped into the top behind the receiver heel which is nicely done. Aside from the deep gouges on the top one they are in very nice shape.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:12 PM

Three stocks from Dupageís arrived this week. No markings on the stocks or metal except for the grips as pictured. Nothing special but a good value it seems as the stocks are good and solid and the metal is fine. They were really clean upon arrival. No grease/creosote as others have mentioned. They look pretty nice with a coat of RLO. Iím not sure why I needed them, except for wall art in my man-cave.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...81sSrnjZ_DUjVD
Old 05-27-2019, 09:32 PM

I went home for a few days and I checked out my stocks. One has some black crap on it, like some kind of dried finish that was dirty. It comes off with denatured alcohol and a bunch of rags. One stock has no marking, the other seems to only have a sarif P with no box or circle.
Both are decent for the money and the metal wasn't even expected so thats a bonus.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post

Your stock is clearly a SA/SHM. Rick B