Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Mossberg M44 Buttplate - Refinish?

I finally have my CMP Mossberg M44's nearly complete to where I wish to take them.

The question I have is what impact will respraying the buttplates have on longer term collectability? Should I just leave in their heavily used state or repaint them? It looks like they were just spray painted with black somewhat glossy paint. Many decades ago.

The rifles were not purchased to be some super collectible items. They will be handed down to my children as shooters. While I doubt they will be sold it is possible.

So how much loss in value might there be if I repaint the buttplates? I have been searching for some additional buttplates as to keep the ones I have original but that seems to be hit and miss and I could use the dollars elsewhere.

Thoughts? I am inclined to keep them original and slowly acquire some additional copies to paint and look nice on the existing stocks.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:49 PM

Check and see if you can find a replacement and keep the original as is.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 PM

you might check with vic havlin on any part...long time ago I checked with him on buttplates..different screws and such as I had a bunch of the 44us...he was short of parts and his advice was to paint the buttplates...gave me the screw #'s or dimensions and said go to the hardware..get the screws and paint them...which I did..worked fine and wasn't really noticeable from what cme on it...
Old 04-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Yes, I will keep the original plates and look for some spares as time and dollars allow. I just needed a poke to stay true to the cause.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 PM

If you repaint them with spray paint it's not hard to remove in the future.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 04-12-2019, 11:37 AM

If my heirs were going to be ticked off 'cause my GIFT to them is worth $500 instead of $700, then I would reconsider them as heirs. Please yourself with the rifles. Let the chips fall where they may. At the later date, original buttplates will probably still be available AND who's to say that the value of the 22's aren't already at a high water mark. Many of the 44's were rebuilt/etc during the 80's, so the odds are good that they aren't original anyway. I'm enjoying mine as they are. Will even accurize one or two up - la the old Bill Hawkes article. These rifles aren't exactly rare.

Last edited by captaincalc; 04-15-2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: stupid auto-incorrect
Old 04-15-2019, 06:54 AM

You might check with CMP to see if they might have Mossberg butt plates for sale.

Several years ago, I visited their Camp Perry store and saw a huge pile of Remington 513T stocks with all attached hardware for sale at $8 each. Later, they had for sale complete bolts and rifled barrels.

Worth asking.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:43 PM

Be careful if you decide to paint them as paint has a tendency to eventually soften and rub off, even the tough outdoor or grill enamels. I did several of those several years ago using Gun Kote from Brownell's or also Brownell's oven cure sprays which are available in several colors. That stuff cures and almost becomes part of the metal. It will not come off with solvents, oils or grease, sweat, etc. I also do gas cylinders with it and it is permanent and it also makes a nice finish. I tried several of the paints that were recommended and they all eventually started coming off. Just some suggestions. Good luck.

Last edited by bobk; 06-02-2019 at 08:58 PM.