Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2019, 06:11 PM

Default Mas 45

I now have two of them in excellent condition. Having done the usual internet research I find that the detail about them is hazy at best. For example: Both have bolts that match the rifle but one is coded on the bolt handle with the first three numbers of receiver number while the other has the last three numbers of the receiver. Both are correctly numbered on the under side of the bolt with the full number. One rifle has a blued bolt handle while the other has a blued safety and cocking shroud at the rear of the bolt. The rest of the gun is parkerized. Neither like the couple of mags I have that are parkerized ( ??French M1 clips?? ).

Quality built guns I would like to know more about. Surprisingly accurate but favor thicker rims on the .22 ammo. Chime in.

Thanks, Ed
Old 06-26-2019, 10:28 AM

I have one of the MAS 45 rifles that is still in the wrap with bolt tagged to the rifle. It came out of a crate of 10. Been awhile but think these came during the late 1980's-early 1990's from either Navy Arms or Century.

At the time it was a dealer special 10 at a time in the crate. 10 rifles, mags, slings and one cleaning rod.

Probably B-S but supposedly they came out of French storage at a navy base or sub pen---but then again there was always a "story" attached to this stuff.

Anyway---great .22 trainers that at one time were really common so a large number must have came into the country.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Based on a Mauser design, and many actually made by Mauser for the French after WWII. I believe that the Mauser factory was in the French occupation zone.

I've found mine to be quite accurate.

Get extra magazines while you can. Can find 'em for under $15/ea with a little web surfing...
Old 06-26-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMPCF50 View Post
Based on a Mauser design, and many actually made by Mauser for the French after WWII. I believe that the Mauser factory was in the French occupation zone.
The French and Russians had a similar philosophy about anything that wasn't nailed down - and a few things that were.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:59 PM

The triggers on both of them are excellent. Once the first stage is taken up the break is very low (2.0 lbs) . I would call the barrels target rifle standard weight which would be heavy for a sporter .22. On mine the extractors are real tight on the round and the chambers seem tight.

I'm satisfied with the open sights as well but because of the weight this is not a gun for the smallish size kid.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:14 AM

Hi,
there are two MAS 45 finishes, a civilian blue tan and a gray phosphathate for military use.
Civil versions are very hard to find.
Regards