Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 PM

I experimented with my CMP Special stock today sanded it completely down removed some wood in the channel and where the bolt might strike..........I got rid of that cheesy car-touche................I am very happy, I used the Minwax Gun stock stain by itself a little lighter that the CMP finish. I used 150 grit and finished with 220 the wood looks so much better and feels better in your hands. Now on to the hand guards.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:10 AM

Default Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I have only had to remove this much wood and bed ferrule to one stock.
Others I had to remoVe a very small amount of wood so didnt need to add material underneath so it would not disqualify from JCG, Other stocks were fine
I didn't see anyone else having these marks or removing wood in this area, it is where the op rod is hitting when fully open. I shot 8 and there are 8 marks on the stock.

Here are pictures of my new CMP stock after shooting one clip. My gun passes the first tilt test but on the second one the bolt won't come forward without a small nudge. I have seen the pic with the touch up points. Do I just remove wood until it passes the tilt test?

Pics

Just barely touched heel

Ty Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 04-18-2014, 07:02 AM

The most recent stock I received was still poorly crafted at the tang. The ferrule still sits too high, but I can't touch it due to the as issued rules. Seems like I should have my cracked USGI stock repaired and use it, instead. Lockup is tight, ferrule sits better, but receiver slides in and out too easily.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:50 AM

I am no expert by any means pappasue but if it were my stock I would attempt to sand down that channel a bit.

There is the "as issued" rule but a stock repair as a maintenance/function issue in my opinion would have been repaired by an Army armorer back in the day.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasue View Post
I didn't see anyone else having these marks or removing wood in this area, it is where the op rod is hitting when fully open. I shot 8 and there are 8 marks on the stock.

Here are pictures of my new CMP stock after shooting one clip. My gun passes the first tilt test but on the second one the bolt won't come forward without a small nudge. I have seen the pic with the touch up points. Do I just remove wood until it passes the tilt test?

Ty Jim
Jim,
Those marks appear to be normal machining marks for new stocks and not where the op-rod is contacting it. Attached is a photo of my .308 Special right after I received it last year and when I first started relieving the stock...same marks.

Just checked my wife's HRA SGS that came with new CMP wood a few months ago...same exact marks.

Now, where you need to focus your attention is the area behind it. I can see from the 1st and 2nd photos you posted that the bottom of the op-rod is contacting the wood there. With the rifle together, if you look close you should be able to see the op-rod contacting the stock there.
That is the same area I have had to relieve on every rifle received with new stocks. If you look close in the picture I posted above, you can see where I sanded that area down.

Try sanding that area down, a little at a time, then try the tilt test. There may be other areas, but I think that will be your primary concern.

Regards,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
Jim,
Those marks appear to be normal machining marks for new stocks and not where the op-rod is contacting it. Attached is a photo of my .308 Special right after I received it last year and when I first started relieving the stock...same marks.

Just checked my wife's HRA SGS that came with new CMP wood a few months ago...same exact marks.

Now, where you need to focus your attention is the area behind it. I can see from the 1st and 2nd photos you posted that the bottom of the op-rod is contacting the wood there. With the rifle together, if you look close you should be able to see the op-rod contacting the stock there.
That is the same area I have had to relieve on every rifle received with new stocks. If you look close in the picture I posted above, you can see where I sanded that area down.

Try sanding that area down, a little at a time, then try the tilt test. There may be other areas, but I think that will be your primary concern.

Regards,
Rob
Yes I sanded that area and I hit those machine marks as well. I will keep at it but for me it is a real chore.
Ty
Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"