Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2017, 07:57 PM

Privi has much cheaper, thinner brass,....no big deal to those that do not reload ( one time Charlie's). I have reloaded some LC USGI and some HXP going on five times. Never even tried with Privi, the cases weigh less than even commercial US brass, which I only get two, three reloads ( Garands are hard on cheap brass) before the rims are deformed badly.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917601 View Post
Privi has much cheaper, thinner brass,....no big deal to those that do not reload ( one time Charlie's). I have reloaded some LC USGI and some HXP going on five times. Never even tried with Privi, the cases weigh less than even commercial US brass, which I only get two, three reloads ( Garands are hard on cheap brass) before the rims are deformed badly.
Like the Hornady Garand Amax brass, not very desirable. When the surplus ammo finally dries up, I think the price of nice once fired military brass, HXP, LC, etc. will rise. Seems cheap today selling for just .15 per case. No one wants it at .20 ea. Where can you get comparable new brass even close to that? Certainly not Lapua!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 02-09-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917601 View Post
If the 30-06 Privi brass is like the .308 Win Privi brass, it should be reloadable. I have reloaded some of my .308 Wi Privi brass 4 times (5 times fired) with no problem.

However, they could be different. I haven't bought any Prvi 30-06, as I not only have "lots" of HXP brass for reloading, but even more HXP and US surplus 30-06 unfired rounds.

Of course, that's the reason I didn't buy any of the latest CMP offerings either - Berdan primed corrosive AYR 30-06 - no thanks....

"Life is Good!"

"Life is Good!"
Old 02-09-2017, 03:27 PM

I had loaded a few commercial Winchester and Privi cases as dummies ( no,powder or primer) to practice loading the Garand, i.e., full clip, half clip, replenishing and topping off,.....found those dented easily and the rims deformed on ejection, Garands are hard on brass.....Pitched them and now use USGI Lake City for dummy loaded en blocs.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 PM

i have reloaded privi brass as many times as hxp and winchester. if you anneal the necks you can get quite a few reloads.my loads are mild at 47gr 4895, 150gr spitzer tip and have gotten 8 reloads so far on a batch of privi . dont be afraid. i have seen split necks on 1x fired hxp .
Old 02-18-2017, 11:44 AM

I haven't read the totality of this thread but I have what may be an ignorant question. Backed-up; I have 10) 30cal cans of loose and bando'd HXP, some loose and two unopened Greek SPAM cans. All in all about 2,500 rds.

While I'd like to back up more milsurp is there any compelling reason I should NOT crack open the SPAM cans and finish em off? Used to have six and now I'm down to two. Not like I plan to display one on the coffee table one day.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad2001 View Post
I haven't read the totality of this thread but I have what may be an ignorant question. Backed-up; I have 10) 30cal cans of loose and bando'd HXP, some loose and two unopened Greek SPAM cans. All in all about 2,500 rds.

While I'd like to back up more milsurp is there any compelling reason I should NOT crack open the SPAM cans and finish em off? Used to have six and now I'm down to two. Not like I plan to display one on the coffee table one day.
I say save the spam cans for a rainy day, or at least as long as Privi or the loose surplus is available. Then crack it open when you absolutely have to.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:13 PM

Half dozen of one, six of the other. It will outlast us all...crack' em open and shoot it up!!
Old 02-18-2017, 02:48 PM

Default Spam cans

Pulling up a price history shows why you would want to keep it unopened, especially a sealed can full in bandoleers. Since CMP has ran out a few short years ago, those $100 cans now are bringing close to $200, yes, and even more.
( I have passed up offers of 200 bucks). As we are on the verge of more Korean Garands entering the US market and more Garand collectors looking for full bandoleers, it would be wise to put them in the " investment" class. Have you seen what an empty bandoleer full of cardboards and en blocs are bringing on eBay?....and WW2 dated full correct bandoleers are easily bringing $100-$120 bucks today at gun shows and militaria auctions, best to buy the loose HXP or Privi for shooting and reloading, sit tight on the unopened cans for the wealthier collectors....a noted internet dealer is currently getting $100 for a WW2 Garand 48 round bandoleer, and $125 for a WW2 dated 60 round clipped bandoleer.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:01 PM

I only shoot my own reloads. I save the canned stuff for SHFT, trading, or whatever may come up.