Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you normally do?
Show full s/n in pictures 33 67.35%
Show partial s/n in pictures 9 18.37%
Show no s/n in pictures 4 8.16%
Not show pictures at all 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2018, 01:54 PM

I like when people post things like is this part right for my 1XXXXXX rifle?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:58 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDoug View Post
Can someone explain to me why some posters cover the last digits of serial numbers? What is the point of masking serial numbers?

Can they be replicated on fake receivers or something? I would find that hard to believe.
Because they are paranoid. Like blacking out the name and destroying the validity of a CMP COA. Paranoia. There's no other name for it.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Sure there's another name for it: "privacy." In the also realm, the govt wouldn't care what your numbers are - after all, they aren't allowed to make any lists... Oh, waitaminit... the Clintons took the order to destroy the Background check rule to mean they only could keep it for six months... and if they had it six months, do you really think the list miraculously disappears afterwards? It's very simply not the govt's business, or facebook's or bloomberg's or anybody's but mine. By wiping the last two, I've cut the nosiness quotient by a factor of a hundred. But we're living more and more in an age of public exposure. Back when I was teaching high school, I was astounded by what I saw the kids posting on the internet - " no body cares, Mr N... no... until somebody does...
Old 08-07-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
Sure there's another name for it: "privacy." In the also realm, the govt wouldn't care what your numbers are - after all, they aren't allowed to make any lists... Oh, waitaminit... the Clintons took the order to destroy the Background check rule to mean they only could keep it for six months... and if they had it six months, do you really think the list miraculously disappears afterwards? It's very simply not the govt's business, or facebook's or bloomberg's or anybody's but mine. By wiping the last two, I've cut the nosiness quotient by a factor of a hundred. But we're living more and more in an age of public exposure. Back when I was teaching high school, I was astounded by what I saw the kids posting on the internet - " no body cares, Mr N... no... until somebody does...
The Gov't can find out the full serial number of any Garand you bought from CMP by just calling CMP and asking for it.