Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Default USGI hate-on

Wow! You bash the REAL carbines in several posts. You really have a hate-on about USGI carbines. If you actually own one, please sell it to me cheap if you really hate them that badly.

QUOTE=bandofM1;890006]The new Rock-ola would be a great shooter,better than a sloppy shot out rattle trap G.I. carbine for a rip off $1000+ dollars for scrap junk. The carbines I see at the gun shows are junk.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by milwaukeeshaker; 09-07-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:41 PM

LGS has a James River Rock-ola. The thing is absolutely gorgeous. Every part on this one appears to be USGI or really good forgeries, including a 5-44 Inland barrel that gauges as new. Surprised me because the ones I saw on commercial row had Criterion barrels. If I had $1200 to spend I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:26 PM

Default dfancysr

A pistol is a tack driver at 25 yds. It proves absolutely nothing in a carbine or rifle.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
The Bangor Punta years were the years that utter garbage was produced. The feeling was, push it out the door. If the customer was smart enough to send it back, they'd try to fix it. I know something about this as I worked for the products liability insurer of S&W. They were putting out bad guns. Sort of like when the bowling company bought Harley. You wouldn't think they could have reduced the quality of a Harley any lower, but they did. It really doesn't matter who buys a company, it's the commitment to quality that counts. Just look at the junk Detroit foisted of on the public for years. Detroit built the Japanese auto industry with their garbage. Yes, Japan had growing pains, but they persevered and built the best, most trouble free cars out there, not to mention motorcycles and more. When you have a bunch of cheesy, money grubbing slugs running the show, you get cheap junk. So, we'll see about James River in time. If they're any good, a lot more people can enjoy shooting a fun gun. They may not care about it's history.[/I]
I always love it when Harley-Davidson and AMF come up in conversation because people generally claim that those were the "terrible years" for Harley. In FACT had AMF not have purchased Harley-Davidson when it did the company no doubt would have gone Tango Uniform. Junk was being made well before AMF took over the reins. AMF stuck a ton of money into the Motor Company trying to make things better, but you can only do so much with pre-WWII machinery in the 1970's time frame and in trying to compete with the Japanese made motorcycles of the era. AMF had many other concerns at the time besides Harley-Davidson and sports equipment. They decided they could not continue to throw money into a bottomless pit and got out. There is much more to the story including shaky employees and other matters. There was also some help from some very influential politicians that saved Harley's bacon but that's another story. As a footnote, it wasn't just but a couple of years ago when our current economy tanked that Harley-Davidson was once again on the verge of collapsing. A lot of inner cutting and hacking saved the day again.

Rick
Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd65 View Post
More carbines equals demand for more carbine ammo and hopefully production of more carbine ammo...
I'm all for it.
Ill have to agree with you.

For the Harley Outsourcing deniers, Harley Davidson is about 85% US Parts assembled in the USA. The Toyota Tacoma & Tundra are also 85% US Parts assembled in the USA right in San Antonio. Harley does a better job with managing the brand & image. This is far better that GM & Chevrolet, last look, more than 50% of the Silverado comes from Canada.

Last edited by Front Line; 10-12-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:36 AM

I don't really see any difference in a new Rock-Ola, Inc. making carbine receivers than I do Springfield Armory, Inc. producing M1 rifles, M14 clones, and M1911A1's.

Actually, the M1 carbine receivers produced by Springfield Armory, Inc., back around 1999-2000 were exceptionally well made. I made up several M1 carbines using their receivers, at at $89.00 each I wish I'd bought a half a dozen more.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 PM

I have purchased three rifles from James River. All were quality pieces, plus he is a class act to do business with. By the way, Springfield Armory started their serial numbers on their M-1s where production by the original Springfield Armory left off.

Lets cut James River some slack. He sells a quality product and gives good service.