Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
Why is this lawsuit allowed but on the SEI website under news you can find how SEI " urges customers to boycot cheaper than dirt". What's the difference?
Here: http://smithenterpriseinc.blogspot.c...tomers-to.html
Google advanced search: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
In "site or domain" put: forums.thecmp.org
-
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

I wonder if this site got sued too?

http://www.smithenterprisesucks.com/index.html
Old 09-05-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
I wonder if this site got sued too?

http://www.smithenterprisesucks.com/index.html
That's rich.

Has this issue shown up on any other forums? Didn't see it on ar15.
Google advanced search: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
In "site or domain" put: forums.thecmp.org
-
Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 AM

That's sort of scary if it sets a precedent. Definitely shuts down free speech.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Main point to consider is don't gossip. If you have first hand information say "in my opinion or from experience" or something to that effect. Making blanket statements like "all their stuf is junk" only shows ignorance. No one makes a perfect product 100% of the time.

Lawsuits are the last resort just don't let it get that far unless you know absolutely you are correct and even then you may still loose!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFiler View Post
That's rich.

Has this issue shown up on any other forums? Didn't see it on ar15.
I've only seen it on here and the M14 forum. I can't believe a company would sue someone because of their opinion which is why I'm definitely going with LRB for my first M1A build. I understand that it's irritating to hear customers become upset because of long wait times, but in my opinion the professional thing to do is maybe explain those wait times in a rational manner, not get all bent out of shape and sue your customers because they are mad that they aren't given a straight answer.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post
I've only seen it on here and the M14 forum. I can't believe a company would sue someone because of their opinion which is why I'm definitely going with LRB for my first M1A build. I understand that it's irritating to hear customers become upset because of long wait times, but in my opinion the professional thing to do is maybe explain those wait times in a rational manner, not get all bent out of shape and sue your customers because they are mad that they aren't given a straight answer.

Is it an opinion though to say that you have knowledge that SEI's receiver threads were cracking? That is pretty specific stuff that better be true or I don't blame SEI one bit. You can say anything you want about a product, if it's true. You do not get to lie, conjecture, form false rumors about someone or their product.

I don't know what really happened here but looking at the lawsuit some very specific posts were quoted and some very specific claims were made by the OP. If those claims are true, the OP has nothing to worry about except the stress of proving it. If the OP's claims are false, they have everything to worry about.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Many people think 'freedom of speech' is an absolute. It is not. There are limits on what you can say and those limits are constitutional. You can't tell lies about people (that's libel). You can't write lies about people (that's slander). You can't yell 'fire' in a crowded theater and expect to avoid the consequences for the harm it causes to others! Truth is always a defense, so always be truthful, factual and don't spread lies or falsehoods. Expressions of personal opinion are usually (notice caveat) OK if factually based ('it tasted like h...s.. to me,' 'I didn't like the way it looked,' etc.). Private parties are generally more well protected than public figures (which is why you can often get away with a lot when you discuss politicians). And always remember, anyone cane sue anyone for any reason these days because the courts don't like to dismiss lawsuits until the 'facts' are in. Going through the process to get a dismissal is just about as expensive as going to trial and winning. With all that said, I sure wish hamonje all the best and hope he gets out fast and cheap.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn View Post
Many people think 'freedom of speech' is an absolute. It is not. There are limits on what you can say and those limits are constitutional. You can't tell lies about people (that's libel). You can't write lies about people (that's slander). You can't yell 'fire' in a crowded theater and expect to avoid the consequences for the harm it causes to others! Truth is always a defense, so always be truthful, factual and don't spread lies or falsehoods. Expressions of personal opinion are usually (notice caveat) OK if factually based ('it tasted like h...s.. to me,' 'I didn't like the way it looked,' etc.). Private parties are generally more well protected than public figures (which is why you can often get away with a lot when you discuss politicians). And always remember, anyone cane sue anyone for any reason these days because the courts don't like to dismiss lawsuits until the 'facts' are in. Going through the process to get a dismissal is just about as expensive as going to trial and winning. With all that said, I sure wish hamonje all the best and hope he gets out fast and cheap.
Good post! Maybe it would be easier to throw the involved parties in a room some place and let them sort it out until they were exhausted. Now it's a legal issue and it's going to cost both sides money. Like you said, "hope he gets out fast and cheap", but sadly don't think "cheap" will enter in to it.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn View Post

You've got the libel and slander definitions backwards, but other than that your opinion is sound.
Closed Thread