Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 AM

Default odd Things Found In the Woods

Once found an old lantern, a crude knife and a backpack. Friend found remains of a mess kit this past weekend. Thought it would be fun to see what you have found while hunting or Hiking in the woods. Pics are even better. Enjoy.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Default Spade;

Two things off the top of my head, I once found a spade stuck in the ground while squirrel hunting with my son. Brought it home and made a bird feeder out of it. Already had three spades.

Once while quail hunting with my dad I discovered three headstones in the middle of a state park hunting preserve. I saw them in later years each time we hunted that area. I had a good idea where they were and always made it a point to see them. I hope to take my grandsons hunting there one day soon. Maybe they will find them.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 AM

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=87044
Just yesterday, while grouse hunting, I came across some small vodka bottles and spaghetti cans 10 miles from the nearest road. We have a boat to cabin. It is maybe and is maybe a half a mile inland.
CMP customer #289103
Feedback
In God We Trust.

Last edited by usriflecaliber.30m1; 10-14-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 AM

TrashEagle, 1984. That's where you wander around an assigned area on the back side of Ft. Campbell picking up trash. I found a fully loaded M1 Garand enbloc! I guessed what it was and my platoon sergeant confirmed it but there was no telling how old it was. Everything was badly corroded. IIRC, basic training was taught at Campbell in the 60's so it might have been from that time.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 AM

While exploring the wooded mountain land we bought in north GA years ago I found all four doors off a 57 Rambler, like these.

Just the doors, out in the middle of the woods.

When I was a teenager I was exploring the woods up in CT not too far from Grandma's house & found an old Chrysler Town and Country convertible that had been flipped over & left years earlier. I assumed at the time that it had been stolen & abandoned, because it was just too cool of a car to legitimately throw away.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM

Over the years while walking the woods in spring for shed antlers, I have found three very nice sheath knives stuck in trees. All three, I presume, were left by hunters that had field dressed a deer (the ground was messed up where the gut pile used to be), stuck the knife in the tree to clean up and rope up the deer for dragging out, and forgot the knife. I made sheaths for all of then and use them all the time. One is a very nice Case knife with a pheasant engraved on the blade and an antler handle; it was poorly cared for, scratched to heck on the sides of the blade by the sharpening stone. I'm surprised the antler handle wasn't chewed by squirrels.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM

A Ford model A pickup truck of 1930-1931 vintage . Rough shape . And not far away a 1940's Plymouth coupe , shot to pieces. Looked like swiss cheese.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 AM

When I was about 12 my best friend and I hiked up the hill behind my house to explore the rock outcroppings at the top. We found a knot of long dead pine tree that had grown around the chain of a very rusted Victor trap. Amazingly the trap had a small leg bone still in its jaws. We brought it home and my friend still has it to this day. The picture shows were we found it. The top of the hill is almost 1000 feet in elevation above the valley bottom where my house was. The picture also captures a local attraction called the Indian head shadow.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-14-2013, 09:39 AM

While exercising the Doberman and my Ruger Mk2, found a new Pick up truck in a pond, complete with tire tracks from the jump off point. The rear window was broken and a claw hammer still sitting on the dash. State police said it was last seen at a local bar the previous Saturday nite. Stuck around for the sheriff and tow truck. While waiting on the main road a truck went in and soon emerged with two guys. They asked me why I was sitting there. I told them I was waiting for someone.......and took a full description including plate. Always wondered if the dumpee was hiding while I was target shooting. Good Shooting....
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 AM

I found a new 1982 Pontiac Trans Am w/ the window sticker intact once. It was stolen a few nights before from a local dealership.