Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you normally do?
Show full s/n in pictures 33 67.35%
Show partial s/n in pictures 9 18.37%
Show no s/n in pictures 4 8.16%
Not show pictures at all 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2010, 08:01 AM

Most people do it out of a sense of privacy. They don't want what rifles they own displayed over the internet. It hasn't been a concern for me, but I understand why it is done.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:19 AM

And it's been discussed. Do a search for some interesting threads.

"Life is Good!"
Old 05-29-2010, 09:41 AM

There are a variety of reasons that some people do it. I have heard the following;

a) Privacy, not wanting public display of personal information (Rick's comment above)

b) Concern that someone may claim the weapon was stolen by citing the serial number to police or other entities.

c) Concern that "Big Brother" is keeping track of serial numbers and ownership by monitoring firearm related websites (pretty far fetched but I have heard this reason from some people).

d) Concern that someone will make an ownership claim such as an inheritance, heirloom or otherwise.

e) Concern that their posted serial number may get confused with a weapon serial number that was used/recorded in a crime. For instance, if the crime report states a specific serial number and is entered incorrectly in a computer it would erroneously refer to the incorrect firearm. (I have never heard of this happening, but again, this is one of the reasons I have heard poeple use).

Now, here are the reasons you SHOULD post your complete serial number;

a) To allow others to research specific info such as date of mfg., type, correctness of parts/accessories/etc.

b) To illustrate that you are NOT afraid the gun is stolen. If you weren't confident of that fact you would hide the number as listed above.

c) To allow buyers to "pair" a serial number with another rifle. Personally, I tend to watch for numbers consecutive with rifles I already own. This is impossible if some of the serial number digits are obscured.

d) To make it easier to track certain weapons, for instance, if a welded drill rifle is listed/sold and then shows up again later with the same serial number and NOT a welded drill rifle anymore we can say "ah ha!". Believe it or not, this does occur.

e) To allow us to match up components of a rifle, for instance matching a bolt with a receiver serial number as posted in the smallbore section for the 40X's.

Again, I am just repeating what others have told me in the past, I have no aversion to posting serial #'s but it is a personal practice excerised by some individuals. If it makes them feel more secure then I guess it has at least some benefit, even if the security is an illusion.

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by J.W.A.; 05-29-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:21 AM

Default Thank you for the information.

I know consecutive numbers are important to some people. I have also heard of two people looking for rifles their fathers carried. Wouldn't it be great to reunite a veteran with his rifle! Thanks again, Rich.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-3-6 View Post
Why do most people alter their photos so you can not read the entire serial number?
At this point I do it because some folks feel they are entitled to know what the complete SNs are. It's need to know, and nobody on the internet has a need to know. If folks are looking for a specific SN, I am happy to tell them if it is what they are looking for or not via email/PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Machts Nichts...

OR...

Comme Se, Comme Ca...

Last edited by DDRode; 05-29-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:18 AM

Default Garand serial numbers

I have noticed in some peoples M1 garand pics they sometimes blur the serial numbers out and some do not,why is this?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:13 AM

This question comes up every couple of months. Some people don't like to put out the numbers for fear of some nefarious character using that information to obtain possession of their firearm.
There's always a somewhat heated debate, once this question is asked, by the two opposing camps as to the likelihood of such an event happening.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttebob View Post
This question comes up every couple of months. Some people don't like to put out the numbers for fear of some nefarious character using that information to obtain possession of their firearm.
There's always a somewhat heated debate, once this question is asked, by the two opposing camps as to the likelihood of such an event happening.
LOL...Thats one of the funniest damn things ive ever heard.Do these same people try to hide their VIN number on their vehicle for these same fears?.....lmfao. I would love for someone to try that with me. PRICELESS.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 PM

Actually, Taking possession of your firearm/s is not the origination of this idea. Insurance Fraud!. Folks discovered years ago that they could not make an insurance claim for lost/stolen firearms without reporting a serial #. It was not long (with communications within our excellent penal systems) that criminals learned the same technique. All you need to file a police report is a legitimate serial #. All law enforcement agencies are required to list stolen serial #'s in NCIC. This can be accessed by law enforcement around the country. It could be years after-the-fact, during a legal transaction, that the fraud is uncovered. Usually leaving the legitimate owner having to "prove" ownership of a firearm that he/she has owned for years. With so many FTF casual transactions across the country, you can see just how muddy (and expensive) the legal waters could become. Just because you are NOT paranoid,,,does NOT mean somebody is not out to victimize you.
Best advice: Keep receipts & paper trail safe & protect your serial #'s. Off soapbox.