Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2014, 11:12 PM

Default Military Imposters

I saw on Inside Edition about this Army Ranger in uniform walking around a a mall doing shopping.

A real Army Ranger spotted him and questioned him after spotting certain irregularities about his uniform like the American flag patch not being where it was suppose to be.

It turned out he was an imposter. This imposter was once arrested for impersonating a police officer. The real soldier gave this imposter a hard time and rightly so.

It seems anyone could go on line to get a uniform with all the decorations and medals to impersonate a real soldier.

Can you soldiers who served spot an imposter in uniform?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:22 PM

most of the time - because the idiots will have way too many medals or awards that an average person will not have - or they will have colorded badges (Dress Uniform patch on a BDU / ACU) - or they will have wrong stories or dates as you talk to them.

Posers almost always exaggerate and say things like, I was an Army Ranger / special Forces / Seal - seriously....
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
Old 12-04-2014, 11:35 PM

How true, this other dude had more medals than Audie Murphy and had both the Silver Star and Bronze Star along with so many other medals that put Napoleon to shame.

He had on so much "fruit salad" and medals and awards that even Gen. Patton would have been jealous of.

To all you legitimate soldiers, past, present, and future. THANK YOU!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:47 PM

If you find someone who says he was a SEAL, just ask him what class he was in at BUDS (Basic Underwater Demolition School). And you can ask him how many jumps it took to get his Navy jump wings after going through Fort Bragg.

These scum bags just tick me off. You're more likely to meet someone who played for the NFL, than a real Navy SEAL.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:04 AM

Somehow, last night I got consumed with watching videos on YouTube about these guys being confronted in public and humiliated. Tons of them...of corse, theyre all SEALs, Rangers, Spec Ops, etc. Just sad.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:13 AM

I was never in the military and can spot a fake. Silver Star ribbons in the middle of a salad bar is one of my favorite givaways. It astonishes me how these tards don't even to the most basic of research, but I Imagine most of the population falls for it. I had an 18 year old kid in my shop the other day wearing camo with a 1st Lt tab and a CIB. I pulled him aside and asked what's up, he got all timid and said he liked dressing like that. Told him to be careful because some guys might go off on him. When he was in the shop today he was wearing different clothes.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:30 AM

I normally can tell. A lot of times the guy doesn't have the lean hard look. I can normally tell a Marine or Army type when they are in civies because of the look. Now if the fat guy was in USAF ABU's or dressed like a sailor then he might be able to get a pass.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:45 AM

I remember when I was in basic training at Ft. Jackson in 1975 we went to the PX and I bought an Expert Infantryman Badge thinking that when I graduated AIT (which I did at Ft. Polk) I'd be allowed to wear it. My drill sergeant found it in my locker during an inspection and that's a day I'll never forget. You talk about an A$$ reaming! One of the gentler things I was called a PX War Hero and it only got worse from there, in front of everyone no less. Man, did I feel like sh*t. Ironically enough, I did earn the badge while serving with the 101st and there's an awful lot of hard work that goes into earning it. I still have my telephone book sized study guide to this day.The losers that wear medals and badges or uniforms for that matter should face harsher punishments than they do. I would think the first one this guy would have faced would be Theft By Deception for trying to get a military discount. They're all scumbags.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:26 AM

I imagine these societal turds have been around since ancient Rome. The only way to deal with it is the way that GI did and publicly shame them. That wuss probably went home and cried himself to sleep.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:03 AM

I'm sure I could as it's pounded into you day after day for years the proper way to wear every aspect of the uniform.

This reminds me of something that happened while I was in AIT.

We had a guy who was in the California National Guard. I was the old guy in basic at 27 but this guy has a couple years on me. Very nice guy and soft spoken. He had a right shoulder patch, CIB and a couple Bronze stars and a Purple Heart. We talked the first day and he told me he was in the Marine Corp in Vietnam as a scout. 2 tours. We were both aircraft mechs before joining but he had a decade of experience on me. I asked why he joined the Army and he said he didn't know why, just that he was at home watching TV, saw that "Be all you can be" commercial and it went to his head so he went down and joined the Guard!

The next day in formation, the drill sergeant saw his uniform and immediately went ballistic! They pulled him out of formation, accused him of being a "PX Ranger" and off they went. Well, they found out he was telling the truth (and wearing everything correctly). I guess there was a lot of apologizing then they reassigned him to the barracks for prior service. I talked to him in a class and he explained what happened and he wasn't allowed to talk to the new recruits anymore.