Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrpb View Post
Had some arrive today and am very pleased. Received very nice/new examples of US / Camillus, US / Conetta, and US / Ontario with two of the sheaths have arms room numbers. Interesting I also recieved a brand new commercial production KABAR. Difference in feel between the KABAR and the others is significant, leather grip on the others feel versus plastic handle on the KABAR. Will probably order a couple more.
Do you mean that they sent the commercial Kabar as the same item number, or was that another item you ordered?

Dave
Old 08-06-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCMP View Post
Do you mean that they sent the commercial Kabar as the same item number, or was that another item you ordered?

Dave
Same item number
Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 AM

There have been a few of the Ka-Bar 1211 knives in this batch. Not sure where they came from, whether a PX sale type item or possibly from a unit purchase.

In some ways they are better than the standard version, although the sheaths are a little poorer quality. The Kraton G handle provides a more secure and comfortable grip. The epoxy powdercoated metal is good although it is a little more shiny than the Parkerizing.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:39 PM

Thanks, John and Gary. Interesting that the Kabar commercial knives are showing up in this batch. No doubt they are a nice knife, but not US spec as you pointed out.

I also see that Moonracer has a logo Camillus/New York/USA pictured. (I assume that is one of the ones he picked out at the warehouse.) Isn't that also a commercial knife, since it doesn't have the markings per spec?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-07-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCMP View Post
Thanks, John and Gary. Interesting that the Kabar commercial knives are showing up in this batch. No doubt they are a nice knife, but not US spec as you pointed out.

I also see that Moonracer has a logo Camillus/New York/USA pictured. (I assume that is one of the ones he picked out at the warehouse.) Isn't that also a commercial knife, since it doesn't have the markings per spec?

Thanks,
Dave
Yes, there are several of the Camillus commercially marked knives in the batch. Other than the mark, I believe these were made to the standard specifications. Camillus made this knife and the so-called Jet Pilot's Knife commercially after they no longer had the military contracts, and they were ordered by and sold in the Post Exchanges. Service members who were not issued one of the knives commonly purchased and carried them.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
Camillus made this knife and the so-called Jet Pilot's Knife commercially after they no longer had the military contracts, and they were ordered by and sold in the Post Exchanges. Service members who were not issued one of the knives commonly purchased and carried them.
Having had some experience within the DoD supply system, service members may have bought the commercial knives and turned them in when they lost their issue knife, or wanted an issue version as a souvenir. If you were processing out and placed a pile of equipment on the counter, the supply clerk wouldn't have checked too closely. At that point it sometimes is more about quantity than quality.
ETA: The old joke when I was an aircraft mechanic was that you didn't want to go to Sgt. Bilko's house and holler "ATTENTION" around his tool box.

Last edited by edlmann; 08-07-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:35 AM

Received one yesterday. Ontario, a little light rusty water stains that cleaned up nice! Good condition overall. Very pleased.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:54 PM

1. The Ka-Bar USMC is commercial production but popular private purchase by Marines. Can't be sure, but looks like mid-1970s production.

2. The guard marked Ka-Bar USN is a World War 2 USN Mark 2 knife, with that marking 1944-45 production.

3. MSI is Manufacturing Specialties Inc of Allen, Texas. They had one contract in 1982-83 for just over 5,000 knives, Usually pretty crude, they were not normally knife makers and it shows in the fit and finish.

Nice haul considering what you paid.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:23 AM

Outstanding Moonracer. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Dave
Old 08-09-2015, 07:44 AM

I was gonna order one but the shipping was on the high side. They do look interesting though.