Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2016, 05:53 PM

Default When the Spam Cans Disappear

It's gonna be happening very soon. I doubt there's enough to last out July. Everyone prepared and stocked up as best as can be? There ain't going to be any more of these, at least at affordable prices! It's been a good surplus M2 run for many years thanks to the CMP!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-28-2016, 06:05 PM

Was a nice long run. Those Greeks must have really cranked out the rounds at one time. Once the cans are totally sold out and the stuff swept up off the floor and bagged for sale the price of operating these rifles will go up. Best thing someone who wishes to continue economical shooting can do is to set up with some entry level reloading equipment, save their brass and pick up brass that others leave behing and learn how to roll their own.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka108 View Post
Was a nice long run. Those Greeks must have really cranked out the rounds at one time. Once the cans are totally sold out and the stuff swept up off the floor and bagged for sale the price of operating these rifles will go up. Best thing someone who wishes to continue economical shooting can do is to set up with some entry level reloading equipment, save their brass and pick up brass that others leave behing and learn how to roll their own.
I remember some years back, Orest told us how much ammo the CMP purchased from Greece, it was over 100,000,000 rounds of M2, and in all kinds of configurations.

NRA Life Member
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-28-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
I remember some years back, Orest told us how much ammo the CMP purchased from Greece, it was over 100,000,000 rounds of M2, and in all kinds of configurations.
I seem to recall it was 1 or 2 freighters loaded with ammo.
Figure 100,000,000 rounds of M2 Ball would weigh at least 4,000 TONS!
Old 06-29-2016, 04:23 AM

It has been a good run for sure. Gets me thinking of how much we must have shipped out during WW II.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:44 AM

No worries, I will reload all that brass more than once...
Old 06-29-2016, 07:02 AM

Once upon a time ... read a bit of advice... "Buy it cheap. Stack it deep." Yesterday... visited the home of a family member who stores some stuff. He has nice cases of ammo. He must have heard that bit of advice. Between him... and my reloading equipment, our family... on through the grandchildren, will be shooting these fine rifles for many years to come. Only real worry is if a hostile federal or state administration makes it difficult or impossible for anyone to own ammunition or components for reloading. That is the real weakness of the 2nd Amendment... there is no legal protection in the COTUS that prevents the left from restricting access to or possession of ammunition. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
It's gonna be happening very soon. I doubt there's enough to last out July. Everyone prepared and stocked up as best as can be? There ain't going to be any more of these, at least at affordable prices! It's been a good surplus M2 run for many years thanks to the CMP!
Granted, I didn't think this ammo would even last into the new year but what makes you think it will finally be out by next month ?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:29 AM

Default Just Ordered - Still Available

Just ordered more cans. Still available according to telephone sales. Server was down.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillies View Post
Granted, I didn't think this ammo would even last into the new year but what makes you think it will finally be out by next month ?
I just think were running on M2 "fumes" now. And as always, some will still be shocked the day it suddenly disappears from the e store, and post, ugh, I was just about to order some cans, and now I can't. Everyone's had plenty of time to buy some. The low-cost ammo party has to end eventually. As you said, I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has.

NRA Life Member
GSM Master Instructor