Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2016, 07:08 AM

Default CMP offering Federal 22LR for Aguila

Got an email from the CMP offering me Federal 22LR instead of the Aguila that I've had on order for several years. Price is just a little under 6 cents per round for the Federal, while price for the Aguila is going up to over 7 cents per round if they ever get anymore in. Limit one 3250 round case of the Federal, so if you have a really big order you may want to hold out for the Aguila.

I don't think the Federal is as good of ammo as the Aguila, but since I'm just using it for plinking, I'm going with this deal. I've built up a pretty good stock pile of 22LR anyhow.

Wondering what others thought of this Federal Auto Match 40 gr Ammo?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2016, 10:17 AM

I'm not a competition shooter, but to me the Federal Auto Match is very decent ammo, especially at 6 cents per round. I have shot a good bit of the Aguila .22 too and like it; it is the ONLY Aguila ammo that is up to snuff, IMO. I have a hard time understanding why the CMP is not able to get the Aguila; some of my LGS have tons of the stuff.

Last edited by jetjockey75; 07-09-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:21 AM

I recently took the Federal Auto Match offer for my 6/27/2013 order. I've also used it over the last few years...

I'm no competition shooter either, but it seems decent enough to me. Runs fine in everything I have.
GOA Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Life Member/Benefactor
Old 07-09-2016, 01:29 PM

Federal AutoMatch is fine for bulk .22 plinking ammo, at least at 6 cpr; it's cleaner than some of the green-and-yellow boxed ammo, in particular. I've experienced and seen reliability issues with AutoMatch (misfires, stovepipes) in 10/22s at Appleseed events, so beware if you want to use it for a timed course of fire like that. I've not used Aguila, so can't offer any comparison there.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:55 PM

I finally gave up waiting for over 3 years I think and bought some SV Aguila from Target Sports for $385 delivered. Right after I bought mine it was out of stock. I see a lot of sites being out of stock with it also, seems to come and go.

Re CMP not being able to get any, I doubt that. I suspect they are not willing to pay what the distributor is asking or can't get enough in one shipment to bother with at that price.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

I have been shooting Federal competition (bought recently for 6 cents/round at LGS) in my S&W 41. Shoots about as well as any non-premium ammo.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 07-09-2016, 07:50 PM

Ernest, what was the date of your original order? I have an Oct 2013 or 2014 date I think. It has been so long ago I have forgotten. The last bunch of Federal went to June orders, so I think my order is still four months later.

I have been using the Federal Auto Match, source from a LGS for 7 cents a round. I find it very decent ammo for my 22LR AR-15 clone, in my Ruger Mark II, and my HR-12. I am shooting less then 1.5 inch groups out of my H&R-12 at 35 feet.

I would take a case as substitute for Aguila, Would keep me shooting for a year or two. I will not purchase any Aquila ammo after how they treated CMP.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-in-PA View Post
Ernest, what was the date of your original order? I have an Oct 2013 or 2014 date I think. It has been so long ago I have forgotten. The last bunch of Federal went to June orders, so I think my order is still four months later.
My original order was placed on 6/26/2013, and I believe the price for 5000 rounds at that time was $260. The email that I got yesterday said that the new price for the Aguila ammo would be $365/case, so I'd say the Federal is looking like a pretty good deal right now, but they are limiting purchase of the Federal ammo to one 3250 round case for $193.95.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
My original order was placed on 6/26/2013, and I believe the price for 5000 rounds at that time was $260. The email that I got yesterday said that the new price for the Aguila ammo would be $365/case, so I'd say the Federal is looking like a pretty good deal right now, but they are limiting purchase of the Federal ammo to one 3250 round case for $193.95.
just a penny more around, IF cmp can get Aguila again for 7 cents per round shipped Aguila super extra that is and its as good as the last 15k rounds from before I will wait.

Maybe CMP can get a deal going with SK ?

problem is right now the general public is buying the bejeez out of ammo so it makes no sense to make a deal with CMP for a large order when the manufactures can sell it to others at a higher price and it still moves.
go back 5 plus years 90% of the shooters at my club might buy a 500 round brick 2 times a year. now everone is buying as much as they can. Not to mention there has been a large increase in cool 22lr plinker guns...
Old 07-10-2016, 07:21 AM

I got the same email from the CMP for my June 2013 or was it 2012 order...I can't remember. I placed orders in April and June of that year and I received my April order probably 2 years ago so it's taken a while to go from April to June of the same year. I figure I will take the Federal as I think people are going to start stock piling again and I don't want to be empty handed or pay crazy prices.